Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BIG Butt Cook - Help Needed

Options
Iowa State Egger
Iowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All -

I am sponsoring a golf event coming up on the 15th. Afterwards we are planning to have the awards ceremony at my house (beers and bbq).

I am planning on doing pulled pork and have 35lbs. of butt ready to go. The plan is to cook it this weekend and put into food saver bags to freeze. Then, after the event I will put the bags into boiling water to reheat. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any advice on the cook:

1) There will be a total of about 30-35 golfers (all men). I assume 35lbs of precooked butt will be enough?

2) Is it possible to cook 35lbs of butt all at once? I do have the adjustable rig and spider, and was hoping to do a three tier cook.

3) Any advice on the set up?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Celtic Wolf has a formula for calculating the amount of butt to use.

A general rule is take the number of guests and divide by 2.4 for the amount of meat to cook.

GG
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I am sure if you ask Pete, he will give you the info you need.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Can I get a tee time? :unsure:
    Never mind.
    What time is Dinner! Room for 36th?
    Can I golf with hockey stick?
    Happy Gilmour is my hero!
    The price is wrong!...Bob :evil:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1# 35 pound is probably twice as much as you will need to 35 people At a 1/3 pound per person you are looking at 12 pounds of cooked product or 16 pounds of raw product. You could go 18 to play it safe.

2# 35 pounds is probably 4 butts, so yes depending on your setup. I have done 6 butts per egg with TJV's adjustable rig. 20 pound is more than doable.
  • wannaegg
    wannaegg Posts: 31
    Options
    Dave, please tell me you are playing Waveland. GREAT golfing. floridagrillingirl did pulled pork for me to feed my Outback Bowl friends. She made a day or two ahead, I don't remember. She might have some tips. Sounds like a great time and great food. My best.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    On the large you could get 4 butts on a single grid easily 5 if you put them on end but it dosent sound like you will need that much. Wolfs estimates are very good with 1/3 lb per person. Just to give you an idea, two 7 lb butts pulled will almost fill one of the large disposable aluminum pans. If you did three 7 lb butts you will have plenty and probably a good bit left over as that would be just over 20 lbs.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    All -

Thanks a ton for all of the help. I have a lot more confidence prior to the post.

TAMPA - I have played waveland before and it is great. However, we are actually playing TCI in Polk City. Arnold Palmer designed it and I am sure I will be loosing a few golf balls. I do remember seeing Florida Grillin Girl's post prior to the bowl game. I think she was able to save some juices of the cook?

Thanks again!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Iowa State Egger -

I have always used an aluminum pan to catch the juices from the pork, following a Martha Stewart recipe. I defat it and pour it over the pulled pork. This one had alot of juices.

CIMG2840.jpg

Good Luck on the tournament and the cook.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That picture was 28 lbs. of pork shoulder cooked on the large.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini