Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Anyone ever donate a car?

Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our '96 Honda finally died. Should have sold it sooner. Need to have it towed away and thought about donating to charity. How does this work? Do they give you a receipt that you decide the value (Edmund's, KBB, NADA) or do you have to wait until they auction it off? Engine/tranny are in vgc, body beat up, interior cracking, tires good. Apparently, some rodents decided to nest under the hood (we don't drive it often) and they chewed some wiring. I got the alarm wires spliced, but can't find other damage. Battery fully charged: no lights or horn. I'd prefer to sell to someone who wants an engine, but don't want the hassle of advertising and waitiing for buyers. The V6 ran like a sewing machine.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've done it a couple times, last one I was told $600 was the maximum I could declare for taxes. -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i have never donated one but i have worked several hundred charity cars.. the one that i see most often is the kidney cars...

here is a link that might help with your questions

http://www.donate-to-charity.org/car_donation/

and here is another

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=donating+ca&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GWYE_en___US260&q=donating+cars+to+charity

hope this helps

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Buxwheat
    I figured $500 was the upper limit unless you submit Form 1098-C (whatever that one is).
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    ...don't know how far are you from the border....but you might want to consider selling it in a border town... always needy people in those places....a dealer might even come & take it from your garage....then you could donate the proceedings to your favourite cause...
  • Buxwheat
    Thanks, the first link contained another link to the IRS page. Looks like you take $500 or wait until they auction it and get the 1098-C stating the sale price (you get the lower of the retail value or sale price). I think I'll just take the $500 donation, that's worth about $175 off my tax next year.
  • Buxwheat
    Georgia is a tad too far away. :) Waiting for the Tommy Nobis Center to contact me.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Yeah, maybe it was $500. -RP
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Local high school if they have an automotive repair class is always a good choice.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Burt,

Call the Tommy Nobis Center here in Atlanta. They will have all the info you need and can set you straight.

Vehicle donations have been the core of their support for years and years.
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Remember my dad donating a car to my brother one night.

He got most of it back :woohoo:
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Donated a few, one last year. Here is how it works.

They will allow you a $500 deduction or they will sell it and you get to deduct the amount they sell it for. They send you an actual statement of how much it sold for and you get to deduct that amount on your taxes.

Just donated a 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis (260,000 miles on it) They sold it for $3,300.

Good luck, and pick a good charity.
  • Buxwheat
    Yep, I googled them then put the info in their online donation form. Waiting for them to call and tell me when they can come get it. Thanks. Sadly, I didn't sell it when I had the chance last summer. It was the car I got for my daughter to drive in high school and college. Next it went to my son while he was in HS. It then became mine until I got something new. For the last 3 years it has been the "Beater". Use it to haul fertilizer, Christmas trees, other messy tasks. Great to have a spare when another car has to go to the shop. Gonna miss it, but at least I'll recover some space in the driveway.
  • Buxwheat
    $3300! Wow, if they could sell mine for that, I would be like $1100 in my pocket and no hassling w/ selling it. Wish me luck.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Boatman is correct. They will sell it at auction and you will be sent a receipt.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Seems like every one of my trade-ins were 'donated.'

Spring "Not Good At Dealing & Wheeling" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    Had to laugh at the egger who said his dad donated his car to his younger brother, and got most of it back. Many years ago, I donated my "48" Bentley to my son for the H.S Prom., got most of it back also. The car that hit it wasn't as lucky. The fenders on that sucker were a quarter of inch thick, or at least it seemed like it. By the way, it wasn't my son's fault. The guy ran a stop sign with a cop car sitting very near the intersection. It was fun trying to find the few parts I needed to get it repaired.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Buxwheat
    I had heard that if a man owned a Rolls Royce, he should have a chauffeur: just proper etiquette. If a man preferred to do his own driving, then he should own a Bentley instead.
  • belle's dad
    belle's dad Posts: 146
    I preferred to do my own driving. Couln't afford a Rolls anyway. Wish I had the Bentley now, but, sold it a number of years ago. It was a fun auto to own and drive. Belonged to the Rolls Royce Owners Club. Got invited to lots of functions that were way out of my league. We would go to some of them, and act like we belonged.

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Dukester
    Dukester Posts: 36
    I donated a running 96 Saturn in 07 to Volunteers of America, easiest thing I've ever done. They came and hauled it away, cleaned it up and put it for sale. Blue book was about $1200, they got $1800 for it. They sent me a receipt and notified the IRS and I got to write off $1800.