Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MollyShark,, cover me,, I'm going in.........

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BRINEDCHICKS.JPG
<p />I hope there is nothing gamie about these birds. These two little ladys are going for a Sunday ride in the Egg. They are sitting on the rack I will cook them on. [p]I rinsed them well before putting them in the chilled brine,, brined them in seasoned brine for 16 hours,, rinsed and rinsed them,, dried them well and stuffed them with papertowels and let them rest and continue to dry in the fridge,, rubbed them inside and out with olive oil,, and sprinkled them with Brucies Blend and Poultry Magic and gave them a good massage to rub it in good (under the skin and cavity too). I tied each ones legs together to prevent their escape and to maintain a smaller package. [p]My last brine chickens worked great like this. I cook them indirect at about 350 until their thighs reach 180 or above. My last ones reached 200 in the thigh. I've found that you can over cook brined chickens and they only get better. I'll let you know the results.

Comments

• King-O-Coals, your eating way too damn good!!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Bruci, of Bruci's Blend, is a friend of mine; and a beautiful Cajun lady she is. ...a great product, too. JCA

• J Appledog
    Options
    KIng-of-Coals, All Cajuns' boneless stuffed chickens and Turduckens are GREAT on the BGE. JCA
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Gotcha covered! Did my own last night with the hot wing rub and, gotta admit, they were delicious. None of the "weird" taste. I let them get a little hotter (according to Senor Polder) than the beep temperature and that might have helped (at least psychologically). Ya know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking the brand of chicken might have something to do with all this. I mean, I couldn't detect ANY of the gamey taste...and this was a different brand of chicken than I usually get. Or could have something to do with that lysol spray I hit them with first.[p]Tell me about the insistence on brining. What does it do flavor-wise?
  • AnE
    AnE Posts: 26
    Options
    J Appledog,Mornin'!! I'm picking up on your "turducken"- I've wanted to try one-and have Paul Prudhomme's recipe to make one at home-but it's soooo much work....my Sister-in-law says "don't bother" as they aren't as good as they sound-she claims they are awfully dry after you cook em for a gazillion hours to get the center done...have you done one on the egg??? And, if so-can you recommend a seller??? You've got me thinking "maybe something to impress the masses at Easter....besides the usual beef tenders on the grill"--THANKS! Cheers! Elizabeth

• J Appledog
    Options
    AnE, Check out the link below. JCA

[ul][li]All Cajun[/ul]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    BRINEDCHICK.JPG
    <p />MollyShark, I forgot to get a picture of the birds as they came off the egg,, but they looked like BetterHomes and Gardens stuff. I cooked these young fryers for around 4 hours at temps ranging from 250 to just under 300 dome with a plate setter under the "V" rack to provide the indirect protection. I didn't time them,, I just stuck a thermometer in a large thigh and planned on taking them off when the thigh temp hit 200. Like I said,, you can over cook brined chickens and they just get better. Well the temp went up to around 230 or 250 before I was ready for them,, and they were the best chicken I've fixed yet. My guests went wild. The word tender don't do these justice. Moist, tender, flavorful,,,, man! The greens you see are wild "ramps" from the mountains of West Virginia. A friend of mine brings me a bag full every year about this time. I had never heard of them until I met this guy. I have seen them used only once on a gourmet cooking show and they were used as a green dish for accompanying some recipe I couldn't pronounce. They are like a cross between turnips, spinach, onions, and garlic. Delicious! The other pot contains something my wife whipped up called rice philaf with blackbeans. [p]Brining is now being used widely by top chefs to inhance the flavor of chicken and pork due to the loss of flavors that are occuring with the quick growth policies of the chicken and pork producers. Chek this link out. Cat sent it to me and it helped me when I first started toying with the idea of brining. Cat was my mentor in brining. She has not steered me wrong so far.[p]Well,, I gotta start putting up my toys. It's back to work tomorrow. Happy "Next" Weekend everyone!

[ul][li]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1998/03/25/FD107260.DTL[/ul]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    J Appledog, I found Brucies Blend when brought home a "Big Easy" boneless chicken. There was a picture of a bottle of Brucies Blend and I searched the web and found a supplier. (Brucie was my sons nickname) Everyone I have given a bottle to has become hooked on it too. Great stuff. I'm thrilled to see all of you indulging in cajun-creole-zydeco tastes. Their my favorite hands down.

• Char-Woody, it's an illness. I need help. I'm cooking so many things,, my puppy and kitty are starting to get nervous.