Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg Cook Time

Options
CVDSmokeShack
CVDSmokeShack Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large and a small; I have have done many, many long cooks on my large; but never my small. With the small fire box filled to the limit and using a DQ2 how long can the small go for at 220deg (10-12) hrs?? Any small experts out there some feed back would be appreciated.

CVD

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have both the eggs you have and have not compared it... i have seen boston butts on a small and several other things.. if it were a big concern i would say "when in doubt use the large" :laugh:

sorry i am not more help to you but anything longer than 6 hours i use the large..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Only using the vents (no DQ2) I have gone 13 hrs. (220) and still had some lump left. I believe it was BGE lump but it's been awhile.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Thank you for the feed back!
    CVD
  • CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Bente;
    Thank you for the feed back!
    Chris - Jacksonville FL
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have gone 12 hours on my small (all manual venting). After 9-10 hours temps started to drop and I had to move ash around with a wiggle stick to clear the vent holes at the bottom of the fire grate. I would certainly recommend starting with all of the ash cleaned out, and arrange big pieces of lump on the bottom but you should be able to get 12 hours at 225°.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    With good Charcoal..a clean egg, and some judicous picking of chunks for the bottom...Iv'e gone just over 13 hours...with a small amount of lump left on several occassions!

Keeping in mind that your type of indirect set up will make some difference.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!