Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? on Q\'in my turkey today

Options
EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it okay to place my 17lb turkey directly onto the grill top if I have it set up for indirect cooking on the plate setter with a drip pan and aluminum foil funneling the drippings into the pan? If not what should I do? Also cookbook says 350 for 15 minutes/lb of meat. I was thinking about cooking it at a lower temp or is the recommended okay...Thanks all!!!

Also after the meat is done I am going to pull it and soak it in my Q sauce and put it in a aluminum foil pan cover it most the way and let it cook some more or is that not a good idea. Sauce is a St. Louis style sauce which is tangy and thin.....

Matt

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Your set up sounds fine. Since turkey has very low fat, I would cook it at 350 dome or even 375 to get around 350 temps at the grid level. It will cook much faster as the egg cooks like a convection oven. Typically the turkeys I have made take between 2 and 3 hours max with most of them being done closer to 2.5 hour cook time. I would serve it as is rather then risk drying it out with your other suggestion but I believe in KISS. It will be the most succulent bird you ever had. You can try to prechill the breast with bags of ice water for 2 hours prior to cooking. Cook it untel the breast temp is 160 and the thigh temp is 180. If both were coming along at the same temps I would cook it all to 180. You will still have a very moist delicious bird. Good luck!
  • EggHead09
    EggHead09 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you for the input!!!!!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Ohhh, turkey is always good on the egg. I follow Mad Max Turkey pretty close.

I have found the turkey cooks a bit quicker.

Put some spacers under the drip pan so there will be some air flow between the plate setter and drip pan. A little bit of butter and herbs over the skin sure makes for golden brown finish.

USDA now says 165° breast and legs. I have used Max's ice the breast method and archive the 165° breast (most important) and 180° in the legs. The method works well.

I used the V rack inside a large pan.

turkey0812.jpg

turkey.jpg

GG