Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs are on!

Options
Chris in Gwinnett
Chris in Gwinnett Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two racks of the most beautiful baby backs you have ever seen, slathered in mustard and coated in a paprika free rub! Should have taken some before pics, but the apple wood smelled so good and the egg temp is perfect at 275 dome and I just wanted to get them on and cooking.

Sitting on my back porch, 80's station on the radio, ribs on the egg...Wife and off spring are out shopping. I stayed back to cook dinner. Life is truly grand right now!

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday as much as I am.

Chris

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sound great! I like doin' my yard work in a cloud of rib incense wafting from the Egg. Preferably with a nice pale ale somewhere not too far away.

So are you the fellow who wrote awhile ago about not liking paprika? Is the rub your own, or did you find one that is paprika free?
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    Hey Gdenby- guilty as charged. I am the one who doesn't like paprika. I made my own rub sans paprika. Pretty good too if interested I will post the recipe and a best guess at quantities since I eyeballed it was literally dumping in spices. Yardwork will have to wait until tomorrow.
  • gdenby
    Options
    Take it easy when you can.

Sure, post what you put together. I mess around making my own rubs every now and then, and I'd be happy to learn how you put yours together without paprika.

The only problem with dumping in is that when you hit just the flavor you want, you've got to write down your guess quick, or the next time you'll be scratching your head.
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    This is my recipe, partially inspired by Gator Bait (Thanks, Blair)...I did take several liberties and that is why I can't give total credit!...here goes-

3/4 cup Kosher or Sea Salt (large grain)
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup cracked black pepper
    1/4 cup onion powder
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    4 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    2 heavy pinches of ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1 teaspoon chili powder (would probably leave this out, not a huge fan)

This made close to 2 cups and is a hot/sweet rub. Quite good.

Quantities are approximate, like I said, I was eyeballing and slinging.
  • gdenby
    Options
    Seems like you really don't like capsicums. I believe chili powder is usually ground ancho chile, garlic, oregano and cumin. Anchos are just somewhat darker than the chiles used to make paprika. Maybe drop the chili powder and add a bit of ginger for a bit of tang to go with the lemon?
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    Yep, capsicum is the problem. Ginger is an interesting idea, haven't thought of that. Am looking for more a tang. Was thinking about a drop or two of vinegar to make more of a paste instead of a dry rub. What do you think about that?

My other thought is to add some dry absorbic acid concentrate to the rub.

Still tinkering. But sure seems like I am in the minority on paprika. What is interesting is that I really like capsicum when it is cut with vinegar (tabasco sauce, etc.) I love spicy food, just not the combination of smoke plus capsicum I guess.

Thanks for the input.