"She'll be comin round the mountain when she come's" Well mebbe so.
C~W's train is about to be parked as its running out of steam, but before it goes, one more series of posts. This one has to do with the firechamber episode.
Yes, there is a problem, not with the ceramics, but, IMHO, with the sudden influx of colder air hitting one surface of the ceramics while the other side is super hot. Thus the cracks running from air vent holes in the firechamber both vertically and horizontally.[p]The prevention of this occurance, again, IMHO, and probably argumentative, is the restriction of using the BGE to 600F degrees or less. Thats not a very good alternative for the high temperature steak lovers.[p]So here is my suggestion. When you fire up the BGE to the 750 degree heat levels..stop being in a race with the rest of the posters. We do not need to attain that high temperature in 50 seconds or less. Do this in steps. Start your fire any dang way you want to, but increase the temperature to 300, then 400, then 500, then 600, and do it in 20 minutes or more. When you finally get to the temperature you want, and are ready to insert your steaks, CLOSE THAT LOWER VENT. Yes, I shouted. WHY?????. By doing that, you have shut off the sudden input of cold air to the chamber when you open the dome.
Then put on your steaks...close dome, re-open the lower vent wide open and you will be back to its acclimated heat level.
The sudden input of cooler air to the lower chamber is the culprit. Again, open to criticism and alternative suggestions.[p]
This is a hypothesis at best, not laboratory confirmed by BGE's engineers. Just my opinion. Even the space shuttle ceramic tiles need to be replaced after the freezing outer space temps are exposed to the hot searing re-entry temps.[p]What to do..??[p]The cost of replacing these firechambers must be undoubtedly a concern both for the consumer, and for BGE itself. BGE will replace the chambers, but the customer pay's the shipping. That's fair as most company's do that.[p]If we can come up with a alternative solution thats viable both for BGE and the customer, why not. The cost ?? Less than 5 bucks for the repair cement.[p]As I type I am repairing a current model chamber with a repair cement that IMHO is outstanding. I repaired the leg on a "Miller Tri Stone" (plate sitter) and its like new and solid as a rock.[p]Today I started the work on the firechamber and for your archives, here is the first step.[p](1) Locate in your hardware stores a round grinding disk for rust and paint removal made by 3M Co. that is about 4 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inches in thickness. Called Paint and Rust Stripper. It has a 1/4" shaft that will fit in a standard drill.[p](2) For eye protection get a pair of plastic safety goggles.[p](3) For hand protection from soot (your option of course) a pair of gloves will be nice.[p](4) Run the disk over the edges of the broken pieces to remove as much loose soot and material as possible. Not to worry about taking off too much.[p](5) Once you have cleaned all the parts..find a table, cover it with newspaper, and be ready to do the next part. Cya later...C~W[p]