Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IS BGE CRISPY CHICKEN POSSIBLE?

NJ-Professor
NJ-Professor Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
(This topic might have been covered but...)

Anyone have a reliable recipe or technique for getting a crispy (whole or parts) chicken on a Large BGE..... (I have plate setter and raised rack.

Important: No sugar, fruit, honey, juice, etc. or sweetened condiments.....

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    The guys on this forum taught me to set the chicken out in your fridge, whole or parts, uncovered, for at least 24hours, until the skin becomes kind of translucent. Worked great for me. I didn't oil the skin but just rubbed in the DP.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Absolutely....check out the "Unfried Chicken" entry in the cooks section of my website....

DSC00048cr.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    max modified a jacques pepin recipe, going 500 degrees indirect. that'll roast the skin good. on a raised rack you get some bump from the heat off the dome.

or you can go skin down for a while during the direct (spatched ****) method. i do skin down at the end soemtimes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Wash your bird and pat dry.
    Put it in the fridge uncovered 12-24 hours. This helps dry the skin.
    Some Eggheads lightly coat the skin with VEOO, salt and pepper, others leave the oil out.
    On an indirect egg at 375 - 425 bone side down if spacthcock, 375 for verticle cook.

Rasied grid direct, skin side down until you see color, then flip.

Play around and have some fun. It is only chicken.

You could even dredge the parts in flour, dip in an eggwash, then into panko crumbs, rasied grid direct, keep an eye on this. Panko burns easy.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • This is a good question! I believe different folks may have different ideas of what constitutes "crispy".

My idea of "crispy" is what I get when I cook whole chicken in the rotisserie or oven. crispy like potato chip crispy. I haven't been able to duplicate that in the Egg, but I have had some tasty skin that wasn't rubbery. (Roadside Chicken is excellent)

The best skin I ever had was my first attempt at duck. Best skin on any bird ever-but I wasn't completely paying attention and I didn't replicate it on my next try. No one else likes duck so I stopped trying.

I believe you will have to experiment and refine your technique. I think it all comes down to technique- Temp, time, flip, direct vs indirect, etc.

I am in the process of refining my technique but I keep gettingt interrupted or distracted so I haven't found it yet.

I'm leaning toward higher heat and indirect cooks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    this method works best for thighs and wings where you can get away with cooking them to 200 plus internal
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=491362&catid=1
    with whole chiicken or just white meat it seems to turn the skin to rubber with a low and slow, i cook those closer to 400 degrees with the same setup. most will tell you to turn the heat up towards the end of the cook, what happens when you do this is you overshoot internal temps of the white meat which gives you dry chicken. instead cook the skin side down first and work on the skin and finish things up skin side up to reach your desired internal temps. practice with thighs, they are the most forgiving cook for chicken. other things help as well, dry it overnight in the fridge, lift the skin off the meat before grilling and or place a sage or other herb under the skin, corn meal finely ground or corn starch dusted on the skin adds crunch, check out chef rd's recipe on the dizzy pig rub site for even crunchier wings
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Did a bunch of legs yesterday. Rinsed off, patted dry, uncovered in fridge for 17hrs. Lit the egg, lightly coated legs with mazola oil, seasoned (your choice), set up for indirect cook (platesetter w/cooking grid on top). Temp. 420-450 for approx. 1hr.45min. or 195deg. internal. Came out very good and crispy.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    nj-professor,

Try a light dusting of cornstarch.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TJP
    TJP Posts: 20
    Not only is it possible, but it is extraordinarily easy. Take a whole bird - roughly 4 pounds - rub it with a bit of olive oil and then generously season with salt and pepper. Remember to salt the cavity as well. I like to let the chicken sit like this for about 30 minutes before cooking.

Stabilize your egg at around 325 degrees with a direct set up. Then lay your chicken down in a V-Rack (breast facing up) and place the rack directly on the grill grate.

Open the egg 1.5 hours later and you will have a chicken with crispy, rotisserie style, skin. I do this about once a week. Additionally, I prefer this method to a vertical roaster as the skin comes out better.
  • Is this a direct cook with no raised grid or flipping?
  • I'm brand new here, and brand new to Egg ownership.

My second cook was some chicken legs that turned out plenty crisp.

The day before the cook I brined them for about 2 hours. Then I rinsed them off, and patted them dry. After that I separated the skin from the meat, and applied some rub under the skin. Then pulled the skin back up, and refrigerated them (wrapped in plastic) for about 18 hours.

As for the cook itself, I went with 350* direct heat for about 80 minutes, flipping once.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The scientific secret to crispy skin is to get the water out of it. Leave the bird uncovered in the refrigerator up to 48 hours to dry the skin. The skin will turn transluscent and look kinda funky, but funky is good. Then oil the bird before cooking. The oil helps to transmit the heat of the air in the cooker to the skin. Serve immediately as the skin will slowly lose its crispiness as the bird cools and the skin starts to absorb moisture from the bird.
    The Naked Whiz
  • There are methods and recipes to get a pretty nice and crispy wing off the cooker.

S2DSC00037.jpg

S1E024.jpg

86MVC-001E.jpg

85MVC-004E.jpg

68MVC-007E.jpg

24MVC-003E-1.jpg

30MVC-005S.jpg

Info Here:
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Hot Wings

Dipstick
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Raised direct always gives crispy chicken no matter what. Just flip breast side down the last 20 mins and you're all set!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Thanks for jogging my memory! 8 - ),,,
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Looks good, Dave! Now that you've found your way back here why not stay a while? I and others miss your wisdom and years of experience.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    The cornstarch trick works for me too! This looks a liitle glossy since I also had put some sauce on them, but the skin was still crunchy.
    [IMG_1812.jpg

I just put a spoon full of it in this tea strainer that is a very fine mesh wire and then dust the pieces.
    IMG_0866.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RRP,

I have an old squeeze sifter that was my mom's. It seems the lighter the coating the better.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TJP
    TJP Posts: 20
    That's right. Direct, no raised grid and no flipping.
  • NakedWhiz you did it one more once.....The simplest way, uncovered in the fridge for 1 1/2 days, was the best for getting the skin crispy and brown.

Thanks to all!