Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Trouble

Options
Still Smokin'
Still Smokin' Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have bbbacks planned for a Saturday night Q. Have family coming over that have never had cookin' off the egg. A 3-2-1 is planned for the ribs, problem is we want to serve ABT's as an earlier appetizer. I have never cooked them on anything but the egg. I really don't want to cook them on my outdoor stove(gasser). Can they be cooked the day before and somehow reheated so they are almost as good? I usually cook them at 300 direct on a raised grill with lots of smoke for 45 min. to 1 hour. Normally, we just reheat in the nuclear oven, but they are a bit soggy. They have never had ABT's, and I do not want to disapoint them. I know if the evening goes right, there will be another egg sold.[p]I do plan to get a small later this year, so this is a short lived problem. I can't tell you how many times we have needed a second egg.[p]Happy 4th! [p]Still Smokin'

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Still Smokin', anymore I keep a container of already cooked ABT on hand as an afterwork snack. I will finish off a batch tonight that I cooked 2 weeks ago. I find I can nuke them with no particular side affects. The cream cheese gets hot and keeps them warm while you serve them.

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    kat,
    I agree, I eat'em till their gone myself. Once it took 5 days. I take 6 or 8 for lunch sometimes. I just think the jalapenos are at the best when freshly removed and let sit for 15 minutes. Although I still eat a couple while waiting for the rest to sit. But I guess your right, better leftover from Fatboy and nuked than fresh on an outdoor stove.[p]SS

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    I tried to reheat ABT's and the results have been less then terrific. I would suggest trying to use the gasser at least to hold some product while you cook something else.

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    BajaTom,
    Good idea, I could cook 1/2 tomorrow for flavor, cook the other half on the outdoor stove Saturday for texture, they will get the idea, and I will get fresh ones both days! I picked up a some sugar maple pellets to try pellets for smoking. I learned I don't like them too much because they don't last, even in double layer tinfoil. But, I can atleast use that method in the stove. This will be a great test, but I bet the stove will cook too hot, even on low. I'll let ya know.[p]thanks, SS

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    Still Smokin',[p]Make them ahead of time and serve them cold. I've done this a number of times with great reviews. Just make sure the bacon is nice and crispy.[p]RayS