Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grill extender or 3 tier rack??????

Options
BGEBrian
BGEBrian Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wondering what the overall opinion is of whether I should get a grill extender OR the 3 tier rack.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks.

BGEBRIAN in Holland, MI

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can make a grill extender for very little cost. 1 18" grate, 4 carriage bolts (3-1/2"), 8 washers and 8 nuts. 3/8" bolts seem to be a good size.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Or you can buy a wooring
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Whats a wooooring?
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    I have and have used both,

What I like about the 3 tier is the small ring you get when you buy that part. I put that under my 3" fire ring so when i just grill the grate is almost up even with the lower surface.

BUT then you can just take the 3" out put in the plate setter and use the 3 tier or like we did ribs the othr day. We took ut the 3" ring put in the plate setter the the cast iron grate for the taters then the single level extender to put the V rack on to hold the ribs. Fit perfectly.

Never have enough Eggcessories!!!! lol The home made extender looks very functional also and SIMPLE!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    To each his own but I really prefer the Grill Extender over a 3 tier rack or a homemade grate with bolts. Reason? Ease of storage! The extender merely will collapse when not needed vs needing to find someplace to stack the bolt protruding rack!
    IMG_1451.jpg
    My other method I frequently use is merely straddling an auxiliary grate on top of two fire bricks standing on their edge. Quick and simple.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.