Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morning Butt Smoke

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got sir butt going last night, at about 9:30 or so. Became very tired before I got temp stabilized, so I chucked in some hickory/pecan chunks, adjusted bottom vent to 1/3 inch, and daisy half closed, and went to bed hoping for the best. Dome temp was 225, and I expected it to climb a bi. 5am woke up and went to check. Dome at 260, internal temp 172. Knocked the bottom vent down to 1/8 inch, and went back to bed. 7:30 am found the dome at 180, and internal at 152. Dome temp now back up over 200, and meat temps starting to climb again. [p]There is one way to prolong the plateau!! For some reason I am still confident this is gonna be good![p]Good Day!
NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]A reduction in temp for 2 hr and not going below 152 is no big deal. Keep going and you'll never know it happened. Good luck with it![p]Tim
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nature Boy,
    Ditto on Tim's comments! No harm done and you'll just keep sailing along till it is done!
    Glad you woke up and found what you did, instead of 130 degree dome & 80 degree internal!!! That would have "frosted the pumpkin"![p]Hang in there![p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Dropped to 147 at its lowest point. Climbing slowly now.
    I think it will be even better this way, as the chewy stuff is just getting more tender by the minute! Looks like maybe lunchtine sammiches instead of dinner. I am a gettin hungry anyway smelling that beauty. Our neighbor is getting half of it, as they always bring stuff for Christmas, and we don't. Hopefully this will make up for the last 5 Christmases.[p]Firing up the bike today I expect?? Better get in the ridin' afore it starts a rainin.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Dr. Chicken,
    I am hangin. And smellin. And drooling a bit (haven't needed the bucket yet) . Yeah, she'll be fine. One time the fire did go out, and had to restart. Results were still great. Seems pretty hard to screw up one of them thar butts.[p]Don't need no frost on the pumpkin.[p]I'll be saying "The turkeys have landed!"
    Criss cross....check check....the turkeys have landed.
    Criss cross....check check[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nature Boy,
    If it was outside this morning, there was definitely frost on the pumpkin! Down to 23 degrees this morning at 6:30 am. Needless to say, no apricots, peaches or early plums this year. Might even have to struggle with the rest of the fruit trees![p]Dr. C

• Nature Boy
    Dr. Chicken,
    Wow. nearly 70 up here. Expecting some big boomers this afternoon with some o dat cold air close behind.[p]Sir butt is coming down the home stretch. Dome temp 260, internal 190. Looks like some lunchtime sammmmiches!![p]Sorry about dem fruit trees. Wacky weather these days.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Nature Boy,[p]Like all good things, a little adjustment may be necessary, but it sounds like things are well in hand ... you kickin' some butt![p]Can't wait to hear the results![p]Smokey