Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dry chicken wings

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,759
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i usually cook large pieces of meat but seem to have no clue when cooking small pieces. I have cooked wings at temperatures of 250, 300 350 ,and 400 and i always seem to over cook them. what is the ideal time, cooking temp, internal temp, how do you know when they are done.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Lately Nature Boy has been cranking out the best chicken wings I've ever eaten off the grill.
    He's been using ChefRD's recipe and cooking at 275 or so for about 1 1/2 hours on a raised grid until the skin/breading gets crispy.
    He gently flips them by hand as tongs can tear the coating. Just before he flips them, he gently slides the wing along the grate an inch or so to loosen any sticking wing.... this little step helps to prevent leaving any coating behind on the grate.
    When the fat from the skin has soaked through to the coating giving the wing an even golden crispy coating, the wings are ready....... and they are very juicy and just plain fantastic.
    You can sauce but but I like em without.[p]Some pointers...... a thin, even breading is all that's needed. A thick coat will want to peel off and won't give you that desired crispiness.
    Throw a couple tablespoons of your favorite rub into the breading mix.
    Buy the the big fat wings and cut the wing tip off before coating.[p]Hard to beat these![p]John[p] [p]

[ul][li]ChefRD's Hot Wings[/ul]
  • PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I usually cook at 300 degrees for 15 minutes each side. I try to steer them away from the hot spot or else they will burn. I made 25 lbs of wings for the Fiesta Bowl (I live in Cols, OH) and they were a hit at my party. Everyone asked where I bought the wings from. I have never had dry chicken wings this way. As a matter of fact they are typically crispy like being deep fried and they are very moist.