Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accesories in Canada? Placesetter use in an XL

Options
vern1
vern1 Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an XL and to date for indirect/slow cooking have just used a drip pan (baking dish) either right under the meat or set right on top of the lump (light on one side, dish on the other).

I have been thinking about "upgrading" my technique to one of either 2 methods. One, use an XL extender and 18" drip pan that fit under the grill (available from the ceramicgrillstore.com) or two, go the traditional placesetter route.

Two questions on the placesetter. Do you not have to use a drip pan as well and therefore why not just go with method one? And does the placesetter leave enough room above the lump when it is feet up? I usually fill my lump up close to the top of the fire ring especially for long smokes and it would seem that the placesetter would be sitting basically on the lump?

Any advice would be welcome.

Lastly regardless of which route, is there any online stores available in Canada or actual stores near Toronto? I saw the extender and drip pan at the ceramicstore but the US$50 shipping charge is more than the cost of the 2 products??

Many thanks and sorry for the length

Comments

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Can't help you with any XL advice, but if you go to the BGE Canada website you can find a dealer close by (http://biggreenegg.ca/). You can get stock accessories there, but the Mothership isn't that strong on the accessory side. However, this has lead to the development of quite a cottage industry in third party accessories, namely by forum member tjv. Many people on the forum have sent a few bucks his way for his innovative and well made items. Someone here will provide you with his link as it has currently slipped my mind.

You might be challenged to find a dealer that can provide you with anything but the most basic advice on the BGE. I lived a five minute walk from one in Mississauga and could have literally carried my egg home. However, they were so uneducated about the product that I ended up ordering off a US website from a sales manager that was an egger himself. It was a reason to go to Buffalo for a trip to the zoo (cost too much to ship across the border), but well worth it. Hopefully the Canadian distributor has put more emphasis into sales training over the past 3 years because it is sadly needed.

You might also want to contact mikeb6109 on this forum. He's an egg dealer out in NB, but will probably cut you a deal so that you actually save $$$ even with shipping.
  • vern1
    Options
    Thanks, I will try and track down those guys. Seems to be lots of websites in the US but shipping cost, duties etc is really prohibitive.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Vern1:

I live in Mississauga.

I go the BBQs Galore around Dorval and QEW. 490 SPEERS RD, OAKVILLE, T. 905-844-3224, oakville@barbecuesgalore.ca .

I doubt they'll have an xl plate setter in stock, but any eggsesory I wanted they ordered for me. They told me that they place orders when they get a specific $dollar vallue. The last time, they told me 3-4 weeks and it arrived in less than 1 week. As BBQ season is just getting started here, I'll bet you'll get lucky too.

I've heard of another dealer in Concord, but that's a fair drive for me so I haven't visited. I haven't seen any dealers in Toronto. There's a company that carries BGE within walking distance to me in Mississauga, but as Ottawa Egg mentioned, they have no idea about BGE - I think it's just a side line for them in addition to the fireplaces they sell. I suspect that's what you'll find with a lot of GTA dealers. They sell fireplaces, etc. BGE is a small part of what they sell so they don't spend much time learning about it until they're close to a sale. Too bad really!

Good luck!

Michael
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Options
    I don’ t know about TO but there is Chadwicks and Hacks Appliances in Hamilton that sells the BGE and carries a lot of accessories for it as well they would probably have a Plate setter in stock. They had a BGE demonstration last Sat so I took a stroll over there and John from BGE Canada was there it was nice to meet him. I was telling him how my BGE needed a new gasket he reached in his truck and pulled out a new gasket and gave it to me!!!! said it was a gift for showing up LOL that was very unexpected but a nice surprise.

You can give Chadwiks a call @ 905-385-9274

AuntieEgger
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Chadwicks is in Hamilton...
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Yup, about a 45 min drive from TO
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I almost bought my egg there...but while I was driving to Hamilton, I stopped by the other dealer (about 10 mins from my house.) I really should check Chadwicks out sometime.

Michael
  • vern1
    Options
    Thanks guys I will try some of those shops.
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Vern1 -

I have to qualify my comments in that they are not for an XL. I use a platesetter regularly, though.

Loading the charcoal right up almost to the bottom of the platesetter doesn't seem to make much difference, so long as there is good airflow through the coals. If you use the Elder Ward charcoal stacking method (see ref in recipe section) for low and slow cooks, there will still be enough flow if you leave an inch or so of airspace. I just usually make sure I have a good fist of coals on the top before I put the platesetter on.

Regarding the drip pan: I have done it both ways - with no drip pan (lots of charred crud to chip off after the Egg cooks, and also lots of polyaromatic hydrocarbons, if you're fearful of that) and with a drip pan. If the drip pan sits directly on the platesetter, the grease and all will still char sincethe platesetter is very hot. I use a cast-iron trivet to put some air between the platesetter and the aluminum disposable drip pan. Here's one, though I'm sure there are others: https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?idProduct=3964

Another thing you haven't considered, though. Use a platesetter legs up and it allows for indirect cooking; use it legs down and you can use it with a pizza stone for cooking wood-fired pizzas. It is made so that the thickness of the pizza stone and the platesetter legs down bring the cooking surface level with the dome opening of the BGE. Makes it easy to slide pizzas on and off the stone.

Can't help with locating a platesetter in Canada, but if you're in Missasaugua a trip to Buffalo might be in order.

Bob V
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Chadwicks will be having their Annual Egg cook soon ,, probably next month. When I get notification of when it will be I will post it on the board.
  • vern1
    Options
    Thanks all, very helpful. I have tried my local dealer in Toronto but as someone said they sell the BGE mostly as a sideline.

Bob V thanks for the real world experience on using the placesetter. I am still debating whether the placesetter makes sense or whether I go with the drip pan held up right beneath the grill which then serves as both the drip pan and the method of indirect cooking.