Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nine Months Of Egg Ownership

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned a large BGE now for 9 months, here are some thoughts.[p]The big change in me, as I have gained a little experience, is that I worry and obsess far less about cooking times and temperatures than I did when the egg was new. The egg seems pretty good at taking care of itself once you have learned the basics of temperature control. I am also less inclined to feverishly rake out every last ash particle before I fire it up.[p]The most useful gadgets I have bought have been a fast response Thermapen (used to check doneness of food) and a MAPP gas torch that I use to light the lump. A wireless remote thermometer has been useful too.[p]Shortly after I bought the BGE, my neighbor bought one too. Now, I know of at least two others in our neighborhood. Seems to me that the BGE Company is not too interested in aggressive growth – expansion through word of mouth and building a niche within the ‘queuing community seems to be their chosen method. If I were running the company , I’d be giving away BGEs to every meat market and butcher I could locate (for prominent display and use outside the stores).[p]I am irritated by the crack-prone design of the bell-shaped firebox. Slicing it into two ring sections across its axis would probably cure the problem and save the company a lot in warranty replacement costs. I also consider felt to be a poor choice for gasket material.[p]These are minor niggles when judged against the overall excellence of the food that comes off the BGE. It’s great fun to use and my Weber kettle grill has stood outside unused for… 9 months. I really need to get 'round to cleaning the thing up and selling it. My only regret is that I am so busy that I have had few opportunities to do low ‘n’ slow cooks (briskets, butts etc.). I really need to gain experience in those areas.[p]Best wishes to all.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)