Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Dimension Question

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're planning to buy a demo Mini at the Waldorf Eggfest and cook a variety of sausages as our contribution. (They're pretty forgiving and should be fine for my first cook ever on a Mini.) Fairly low temps and a raised grid will be the order of the day. I've been warned that the Mini will come up to temp quickly and will keep a close watch. For the raised grid I'll do the three-bolts-with-nuts-and-washers trick, but I don't know far below the gasket the grate sits on a Mini. That affects the length of the bolts I'll buy here and bring with us. I'd like to get the grate just up to the level of the gasket. Any recommendations for the length of the bolts?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    The grid on "My" mini is 1" below the gasket...these are ceramic and they vary from one to the next..but I really wouldn't expect there would be a noticeable difference in the measurement you're asking for..no matter when it was made.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Doug,the grid on the mini is only an inch below the feltline ;) You should probably use 1.5" bolts ;)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    grandpas grub was collecting info on mini dimensions as they seem to be different.. i put together this slide show.. put your cursor on the pic and you can pause.. you could take longer bolts and the wrenches then you can adjust when you are there?

hope it helps

th_minidimensions003.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I use wing nuts.No need for wrenches and fully adjustable. ;)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    very smart!!!!!!!!
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    It sounds like 1-1/2" or the next biggest size they have in stainless will do the trick. Thanks for the advice! The slide show was very helpful too. And the wing nuts are a great idea.

UPDATE I just read another post that mentions using GrateMates in a Mini. I have a set for my Small. It sounds like I already have the solution. I'll still bring the other hardware, however, because the GrateMates need quite a bit of clearance between the fire ring and the sides of the base and, as was pointed out, the dimensions of the ceramic aren't terribly precise.

Simple is good too!