Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question

Options
tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few things, Not quite clear on..
1) Doing the steak, high temp sear 1-3min, rest, 1-3min sear.
is the "rest period" on or off the grill?
"sear" lid open or closed?[p]2)Moving grill grate, this drives me nuts, (i'm just odd),
Anybody put stops on theirs? I may work this into my raised grill grate. I'll try to get pictures someday in one piece.[p]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k,[p]The rest is definitely off the grill. People refer to "dwell" sometimes, and that means to shut the vents but leave the meat on.[p]I sear with the lid closed, but I'm not sure it matters very much. The sear is coming from the fire underneath, so retaining the heat inside the egg isn't a big factor IMO. By the way...during the rest the grill cools, you're shooting for around 400, so when you put it back on, its not really searing the second time around.[p]Moving grill grate?? Not sure I understand what you mean. Mine isn't a tight fit, but there's not enough room for it to move very much.[p]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    RG, Its that little bit of movement about 1/2 of an inch the grate moves around the ring. I'm so used to a staionary grate that this one moves so its odd to me.