Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying the Spider

bobSTL
bobSTL Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a spider and a 13" CI grate and tried them out lst night. Also went to the box store and got a Flip grate to try this method. Went OK until I went to retrieve the steak from the CI grate. I'll tell you, it's pretty hot down there ! ! ! :laugh:

PICT0391.jpg

Had some left over mashed to try also
PICT0393.jpg

Start with the sear
PICT0394.jpg

Then the Flip

PICT0395.jpg

Another great meal for a new cook.
Thanks again for all the help here.
Bob

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Yummmm . . . meat & tators :cheer:
    Nice looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Last time I seared steaks on my spider/CI grid, Jana stood beside me watching. I had a leather glove that comes almost up to my elbow and 12" tongs. She was hollering that the flames were burning my arm! :woohoo: Actually no hair singed, but it sure looked impressive! :woohoo: :lol:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great looking meal...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Now that would have made a great pic! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Taters and steak look great. Cast iron is awesome.

Maybe you should visit the welding supply store and check out their gloves.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Thanks for the reminder.... :sick:

Yes, these were sitting in the kitchen, protected in their own little box. Yes, the hair will grow back. :huh:

Gloves.jpg
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    You might take a look at a "meat flipper/hook. I got one from Lawn Ranger. I use it in the same capacity as you intend. It is fast and effective, and it looks good as well.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    howdy bob,

I'm not sure the flip grid is such a good idea. that is a such a narrow opening to work around. Plus the grid won't sit evenly on the woo or rig's upper ring. You should have better luck with our stainless half grid or if you need a new bge grid, cut your old bge grid in half. I prefer the half grid on the rig, as it provides the greatest space between work levels.

If you have a bed bath and beyond close by, check out the OXO 16 inch tongs. In my opinion best tongs on the market, long with a soft cushion grip. I prefer them when handling food, especially at spider level. Cost around $13.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. I gotta try them mashers, look good. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.