Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Longest Twenty Minutes

Options
Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is waiting for the steaks to sit while using T-Rex's method. I had the pleasure of meeting T-Rex and his wife today at the 'Chef and the Fatman' activities at the BGE headquarters. He explained his theory that cooking at a high temperature causes the steak to tense up and that allowing it to relax before continuing to cook would give a more tender steak. Well, since I was cooking for three male college students (my son and two friends) I thought I would give it a try. I went by a local store hoping to find a nice thick strip steak. My eyes were immediately drawn to a nice two inch thick steak but it turned out to be a 2.5 LB chuck steak. However since it was priced at $1.99/LB I could not avert my eyes. I started thinking. If T-Rex is right, it ought to make this steak more tender as well. I picked it up as well as two 2" thick rib-eyes I found (just in case the chuck did not turn out). I coated all three with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and tried T-Rex's method. 1:45 on each side at 600 degrees, then rest for 20 minutes then cook for 4 minutes on each side at 400 degrees. Then rest for 5 minutes before cutting. They were perfect medium rare steaks and the chuck was almost as good as the rib-eye. It ws certainly good enough that I would try it again. Hats off, T-Rex, it does work.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Great meeting you today! Of course it's always great to put a face to a name, but to meet someone who has been so helpful in my BGE adventure--that was certainly an honor.[p]I'm so glad that the 20 minute rest method had good results for you. I hope those college appetites were equally satisfied.[p]Hope to see you soon at Eggtoberfest![p]TRex