Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt "Results"

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hmmm, I'll bet you think that something is up if I am reporting results this soon. Well, the large butt was done at 7:30 this morning and by default the small one must have been too. The fire crept up to 330 during the night. Like I said earlier, I am testing some new charcoal and I was a little concerned that it might not stay lit, so I was a little generous on the air vent settings. I thought the fire was stable when I went to bed, but obviously not. Anyway, I pulled the large one this morning and all was well with the meat, so I'll just have to reheat it tonight for dinner. [p]This experience did generate one memorable comment by "the wife who dropped two cell phones in the portapotty in 8 days". She is a good student and realized that a butt done at a higher temp might be dry or perhaps not render all the fat or breakdown all the collagen if it went too fast, so she asked how the pork was. I said it looks pretty good. "Then why cook it for 24 hours when you can cook it in 12?" Don't you just hate questions that don't have answers? :-)[p]TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Congrats!
    Do like I do, tell her you meant to cook it that way while she rolls her eyes and walks away shaking her head. My girlfriend doesnt realize that getting nervous is what makes ruins BBQ.
    Pulled pork, North Corilana vinegar sauce, cheap white hamburger buns, topped with coleslaw.....cant mess with success.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    The reason you cook it for 24 hours instead of 12 is because you can and others can't! Plus, sometimes you don't have the time to start a 12 hour cook at 7am but you have time at 7pm the night before.[p]I'm sure we can find some good reasoning for you.