Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chops? Sirloin, loin or rib what's the difference?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay was looking at some pork chops today and saw that in the store here they are differentiated into the three categories.. rib, sirloin and loin. Can anyone explain to me the difference between them and how the taste/ cooking method if any would differ... And I know I should just ask a butcher but being a supermarket there was no butcher readily available to speak with.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Nardi,[p]There is a lot of "Voodoo" labling going on @ the meat counters these days....But I'll give it a shot for you![p]In many supermarkets all pork chops from the 'Loin" are simply labled "Loin Chops". Keep in mind though that there are signifigant differences in the 4 types of chops that come from the "Loin".[p]There is a "Sirloin Chop" and a "Blade Chop". These two chops are fine choices for some things...but I would opt for one of the other two chops for grilling! You'll find them labled correctly as "Center Cut Chops" and last but not least the "Rib Chops". [p]The "Center Cut Chop" has a bone that runs through the middle(thus it's name)....with meat on either side. The portion on the left of the bone is the Tenderloin!!
    On a cow...this would be a T-Bone.[p]The
    Rib Chop" has a bone on one side that runs along the edge of the Chop with meat only on one side. This cut is slightly closer to the shoulder with a slightly higher fat content. It is less likely to dry out, and to most, it's the most flavorfullof the Chops. On a cow...this would be a Bone-in RibEye.[p]To make it more confusing....sometimes supermarkets will sell "Boneless Chops" . This makes it even more difficult to determine which Chop you're getting!! I stay away from "Boneless Chops".... as "Bone-in"anything is nearly always more flavorable on the grill.[p]Request a 1 1/2 inch "Rib Chop", making sure the Chop is of uniform thickness. Use a sear and dwell method and they will be outstanding! [p]I like to marinade them in Calvados (Apple Brandy)....[p]Have fun!! Hope this helps.......[p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chubby,
    Thanks, chops on my old gasser were always dry.... I am anxious to give them a whirl on the egg.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Chubby,[p]An excellent response and very well stated. I thought I was relatively familiar with the various pork chop offerings. Your expertise has blown me away.[p]At the recommendation of Cook's Illustrated magazine, a while back, I have standardized on the thick rib chops you mentioned.[p]K~G

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Thanks for your kind words! I must bbbblushing.....[p]I grew up in the country and I'm no expert, but I've seen my share of butchering. I think like anything....the more you know about where a piece of meat comes from....the better equipped you are to determine which cut you decide to prepare in order to get the desired results! [p] Getting the desire result once on the grill...well,
    I'm still in the learning mode there! This forum has really been a wealth of different opinions and experiences for me! I appreciate the way you folks here have treated me since I started stickin' my nose in about a year ago! [p]I remember that "Cooks Illustrated" article from a while back...it was a good read. They are a good source of info on a host of topics...[p]Take care...have a good weekend![p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!