Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Home network.

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone out there know anything about home networking.
What options do I have when connecting the printer to print from my laptop? Can I connect from the printer usb to the ethernet ports on my router, or do I have to buy a separate router for my printer?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You cannot connect USB to an ethernet port, but you can buy, for a nominal fee, a USB wireless network card for your printer and join it to the network that way. The other option is to purchase a wireless or ethernet ready printer.

Email me if you need some further info or brand suggestions.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    My printer is connected via usb to a printer router connected to my wireless ethernet router.
    HTH
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I'll have to use a wireless printer router. I was just trying to save some money. I have a large professional quality printer and the card for it is several hundred dollars. I was too cheap to spring for a $50.00 router but I guess I will have to.
    Thanks for the info!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    But it is the print server that is running the network protocols not the printer.

I have a small wireless print server that is connected to my wireless network.

Works well.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Linksys Wireless Print Server.. $49.00 though that was couple years ago.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Spend the extra $$$ and get an Apple Airport Express - LOTS of cool functionality in addition to serving as a print server...can stream music to it, it can serve as a travel hotspot...really cool.

Inksmyth wrote:
    I'll have to use a wireless printer router. I was just trying to save some money. I have a large professional quality printer and the card for it is several hundred dollars. I was too cheap to spring for a $50.00 router but I guess I will have to.
    Thanks for the info!
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Thanks guys. It works now.
    Just reconfigured the printer and set up a home work group. The main office computer has to be booted up, but I can live with that.