Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin in the rain?

Options
Poncho
Poncho Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One more post, then I'll shut up for a while. It's like living in Seattle here on the east coast for the last two months. Any problems using the egg in the rain?
Poncho

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Poncho,
    "Eggin in the rain" Hummm! That could be a catchy song title if you could find a suitable tune to go with it.[p]The beauty of owning an Egg is that it can cook any time, any place and any conditions. The only problem, rain coming in the top vent. But that can easily be overcome with some creative folding with foil or a roof vent cap from your local hardware store.[p]The food often tastes better when you have to fight the elements to cook it.[p]Go for it.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I use a vent cap & it works great. I think I bought the 6" vent cap for the large.[p]Jeff
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Poncho, this winter i did many cooks with the weather aproaching 10 below, with 30 mile winds ripping snow and ice off the lake onto my deck. I look forward to cooking on a nice warm rainy day.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Poncho, you get wet. And if you don't do something to keep the rain from coming right down the top vent, the food in the center of the grill may get wet and the fire in the center gets wet. I coffee can with holes in the side serves as a good rain deterrent but you can get even fancier with a vent cap.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Poncho,In addition to a rain cap, several eggers have installed large beach type umbrellas. I have a hole in my egg table where my umbrella has spent much time recently.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    You are so right.This umbrella has saved me so many times this year.Last Saturday I was cooking ribs and 2 hours into the cook we got 2 1/2 inches of rain in a hour.I stayed dry and so did the egg.
    Larry

[ul][li]9' Fiberglass Umbrella[/ul]