Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

puerco pibil

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i would like to make puerco pibil on the egg. this dish is featured in the movie "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". the recipe specifies that the ingredients are placed in a tightly sealed pan lined with banana leaves. since i want to impart that special egg seasoning, would you all recommend leaving the pan uncovered? Actually i intend to cook this in an earthenware crockpot (without the banana leaves) and placed uncovered in the egg indirect @325.

by the way has anyone any experience with this recipe? any recommendations?

I was watching the DVD and found this recipe as part of the special
features. I was intrigued by the role the food played in the movie.

Ingredients

5 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes
5 tablespoons annato seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon whole black pepper
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
8 whole allspice berries
2 habanero Peppers, fresh or dried, cleaned and minced (optional)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
8 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons salt
5 lemons
1 shot of tequila
banana leaves (optional)

Preparation Instructions

Grind the annato seeds, cumin seeds, whole peppercorns, whole cloves,
and whole allspice in a mortar and pestle, molcajete y tejolote, spice
grinder or coffe grinder.
Blend the cleaned and chopped habanero peppers with the orange
juice, vinegar, garlic and salt.
Mix the dry spices with the liquid.
Add the juice of 5 lemons and a nice splash of tequila.
Place the cubed pork butt in a large zip lock bag and add the marinade.
Soak 4-6 hours, in refrigerator, turning several times.
Line (8x13) baking pan with banana leaves. Pour in pork along with the
marinade. Cover with Banana leaves and tightly seal the pan with foil to prevent the steam from escaping. Bake in
a 325 F degree oven for 4 hours.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Love Kalua Pork Hawaiian style, very similiar dish.

The leaves help keep it moist.

Pork, Butt, Kalua

INGREDIENTS:
    1 5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Frozen

Procedure:
    1 Alae (red Hawaiian salt) Ti leaves Banana leaves Aluminum foil Thaw the roast. Make deep pokes in the fatty part of the meat next to bone with sharp knife. Rub the roast with liquid smoke and alae getting both into the holes. Wrap roast in ti leaves. Split banana leaves down middle vein and cover ti leaves. Wrap in aluminum foil and seal. Cook for 11 hours in a kamado with a hot fire using 5 lbs of charcoal or keawe for a Hawaiian touch. Check coals every 2 hours to see if the fire is still hot. Meat is done when it shreds apart. Don't open foil until the last few hours. OR wrap as directed and roast in an oven at 200 degrees for 8 hours. Taken from back of 1974 calendar from a local Hawaiian newspaper.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Barbara O'keefe Date: 05-21-96

Source: Barbara O'keefe, 2006/12/07
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    since the original recipe calls for a closed lid you are going to loose your liquid and need to keep adding if you want to retain the texture of the original dish..
    i would have extra liquid on hand and probably leave it uncovered till it starts to simmer using the smoke wood of your choice and then uncover for the last 30-45 minutes with more smoke if needed based on a taste test.
    1 cup of liquid will not last long at 325 in the egg. and i am afraid that if you make a pile of marinade it might get too vinegary as it reduces.. when i do chuck for pulled beef 4+ hours i easily go thru a quart of stock.
    good luck keep us informed
    bill
  • NooBBQ
    NooBBQ Posts: 134
    Options
    I actually have this guy scheduled for this Saturday, I made the marinade today, and will be putting it over the meat tomorrow for Saturdays cook.

I am going to do it on the egg, and somewhere towards the end uncover it and toss on some smoke wood. I know I'd be better of uncovering first and cover later for the smoke flavor, but I want to make sure I have ample liquids.

nooBBQ
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    please let me know how your cook finished. are you using the same recipe as the one featured on the dvd?
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    I don't have the DVD, but found two recipes online that are supposedly based of the DVD.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Puerco-Pibil-100689

and

http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/puerco-pibil-recipe

I have not studied them in depth, but they look fairly similar, I know the marinade was identical. I did follow some reviews and cut down on the lemon juice some. Also I used 2 fresh habaneros but deliberately got a little sloppy in removing membranes and seeds.

nooBBQ,
  • NooBBQ
    Options
    It went on the Egg at 1:30PM, will let you know the results.