Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot Roast Tonite

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cold and damp here today. Decided it was good day for pot roast. Started w/ a 3.5# chuck roast. Stuck garlic cloves all over it and then seared it on CI grid on spider, 7 min/side. While it was searing, I put one can each of low sodium chicken broth and low sodium beef broth in the DO. Dissolved a package of McCormick's beef stew seasoning in the broth and stirred in a 6 oz can of low sodium tomato paste. Then filled the empty can w/ Dale's Seasoning and added it. Also added a bottle of Killian's Irish Red Ale for a little more liquid and flavor. Took the roast off and removed the grid. Put the pizza stone on the spider and set the DO on the stone. Placed the roast in the DO and adjusted the temp to 300* dome. Using the Micro-Adjuster shown here:IMG_1893.jpg
Here is the roast before adding veggies:IMG_1894.jpg
It's been cooking for about 3 hrs now. Hope to have it ready in another hr. Finished photo to follow.

Comments

• Buxwheat
    Options
    Having trouble w/ Photobucket to get pics to post. I used to just click on "Image Code" below the pic and then paste in my post and it put the necessary coding in. Not working today. What's going on?
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Burt,my PB quit doing that a while ago.After clicking the IMG code,I have to right click on it then copy :ohmy: BTW,pot roast sounds great right now :woohoo:
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    I have a Mac: No double click ability. I'll keep tinkering. Have to look back at some previous pic-posts and see what the code looked liked spelled out. Just went outside and taste tested: veggies nearly done - meat still needs more time (not spoon cutting tender yet).
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    You may want to remove the veggies and goose the dome temp to 350* to 375*. 300* dome will take 5 hours plus.
    The 3 1/2 lb chuck roast I just did went 375* to 400* dome and was done in 3 1/2 hours. The fastest I've ever had one cook. Depends on quick you want to eat.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Thanx, Gunnar. Might have to do that. My son just left for football practice, so I've got some time to make it tender. Veggies were getting done quickly on my last pot roast and I had to do the same thing. At least I got the Photobucket thing worked out. Not sure what was going on, but it was not copying the right code when I first posted.
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    Took Gunnar's advice and removed the veggies, kicked the temp up to 360*, and added another Killian's. Forgot to mention I used cherry wood chips for smoke today. First time using cherry, hope it adds a good flavor. When that chunk o' meat starts getting tender I'll add back the veggies plus a jar of sliced mushrooms. Good eatin' tonite.
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
  • Buxwheat
    Options
    4 hr 45 min and done. A little salty: got to cut back or cut out the Dale's. I added no salt and everything else was low sodium. Still good. Nice, rich, reddish brown gravy, already thickened. Here is the finished pot:
    IMG_1896.jpg
    Here I am using the Lodge Lid Lifter/Pot Lifter to carry it in. No burnt fingers:
    IMG_1899.jpg