Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Woosday Food Shots: Egging a Dinner Party

Charleston DaveCharleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I enjoy combining a variety of cooking techniques when cooking for my friends, and my original motivation in getting an Egg was to be able to use smoke as an ingredient when cooking. I did a seated dinner party at home Sunday night and managed to work the Egg into two of five plates. Here are some pics for Woosday:

Amuse: Egg-smoked fennel and red-pepper vodka flight, with a single garlic crouton and prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe (Egg used to smoke-roast fennel and red bell pepper)

IMG_7024.jpg

First course: Sous vide shrimp over homemade lemon peel fettucine (I mixed microplane-grated lemon peel into the pasta dough). Served with a 1994 Sterling Sauvignon Blanc.

IMG_7025.jpg

Intermezzo: Granita
IMG_7026.jpg

Second course: Sous vide lamb finished with a high-temp Egg sear and bourbon barrel smoke, plated with a risotto of spring pencil asparagus and fresh portabella mushrooms, plus wilted spinach. Served with 2004 Salento Enzo di Settte Rue Primitivo.
IMG_7027.jpg

This might be one case where chips work better than lumps for smoking. The lamb is already cooked and I’m turning to the Egg for an aesthetic sear plus a quick smoke. The chips give lots of smoke quickly, so a sear of a minute or so per side is enough to impart smoke flavor concurrent with the sear. Wood chunks might not be able to produce enough smoke that rapidly. BTW, lamb prepared this way is outrageous.

Dessert: Vanilla ice cream on my peppermint brownies, topped with homemade brown sugar bourbon caramel sauce.

IMG_7028.jpg

For those interested in sous vide (hot tubbing gone to college), here’s what the racks of lamb looked like when bagged with a compound butter:

IMG_7018.jpg

The bags were immersed for four hours at 130ºF then sear-smoked on the Egg as indicated.

I’m working on a technique to make ice cream with the Egg…stay tuned.

Comments