Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Spatchcocked chickens?

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I fit on a Medium egg. Have a neighbor that I just finished helping cook two on my large. She is interested in getting an egg but said she would like to be able to cook at least 2 chickens at one time.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've never tried two on my medium, but unless they are hugs you can get two on a medium. Put them back to back and they'll fit. They may not lie flat, but they'll cook fine.

This is a large, but you get the idea from this maybe:

ChickensandTaters.jpg

Another option would be to put them foot to foot and maybe have to cross their legs or something, but I bet they'll go.

TwoChickens.jpg
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You can do three half-cocked chickens on a large. Read... half cocked, not spatchcocked.

Here is what you need to do:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/butterflychicken.html

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've gotten 6 standing up on my medium, no problem.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Why do those pictures appear vaguely erotic to me? :lol: :ohmy:
  • Fidel
    Options
    Because they are both hens and you are a twisted individual?
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    That first pic reminds me of Forrest and Bubba. "You lean on me Forrest and I'll lean on you, that way we won't have to sleep wit our heads in the mud"
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Rod

Is it my dirty mind or what???.... :laugh:
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    How did you get your birds to brown up so nicely? I did my first one the other night and it didnt have the nice color yours does.
    thanks
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I did two on the med the other night for the birthday party. I put one on first for about 20 minutes and then put it on top of the raised grid and put the second one under it. they came out perfect at the same time!
    these were set up direct and about 400.
    Picture941-1.jpg
    Picture942-1.jpg
    Picture960.jpg
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't recall on those pictures, but usually when I am doing poultry (other than wings) i use a nice chunk of either pecan or cherry. both woods give a great flavor without overpowering the bird and impart a nice color as well.

I usually do my spatchcock chickens indirect at 450* or so which helps with skin color and texture.