Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all. We picked up two nice Copper River Salmon Sockeye fillets the other day & would like to try them on the egg. I have seen older postings that are not encouraging, even the terms 'nasty results' were there. Has anyone tried it recently? The cedar has been soaking in an 11x13 pan of water since yesterday. I plan on brushing the board with olive oil & cooking at 300 for about half an hour. Does anyone have any different suggestions? Thanks. Oh, and a Happy Father's Day to you all also!

Comments

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    Mark in MSP,
    I do Salmon all the time on Cedar and Alder planks on the egg. However, I keep the heat a bit higher at 400 to 450 to get the wood to smoke. I cook it direct and it takes about 30 minutes for a slab of Salmon that I purchase at Costco. I go by visual and feel to determine if it is done. It is done when the center flakes easily. I'm not big on raw salmon. I also rub the salmon with Tom Douglas Rub with Love Salmon Rub. Another favorite is to season the salmon with salt/pepper and begin to grill on the plank. During the last 5 minutes of cooking brush the top of the salmon with a Jalapeno Honey Glaze (2 teaspoons of jalapeno pepper and about 1/4 cup of honey heated slightly (30 seconds) in the micro wave for easy brushing. It is vey yummy and always gets rave reviews. The plank will be charred and you throw it away when you are done. Good luck.

• Unknown
    Options
    Peggy,
    Hi Peggy. Thanks for your hints. I ended up using the 'Cajun Indector' Roasted Garlic & Herb marinade on the salmon. I sandwiched it between some cilantro from the garden & put in my FoodSaver Vacuum marinating dish for a couple of hours. Put the plank on the grill at 400 with the salmon/marinade/cilantro, cooked for about 35 minutes at 400 & finished it up wide open for a few minutes. The salmon came out wonderful, served with a rice pilaf on the side too. I will attempt a rub on the next one that I do, later this week. Thanks again!