Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wolf fish on the egg...

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone everdone wolf fish on the egg. I was assured by my fishmonger that it tastes of scallops and will hold up to grilling. I was going to use a lime/ginger marinade that is good. Any recs on setups, temps, etc...[p]TIA[p]Mike

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bigmikej, Can you educate me real quick? What is wolf fish, where do you catch them, and how? I have never heard of this fish.[p]CWM

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I remember seeing these guys in the New England Aquarium in the "St. George's Bank" (Northern Atlantic) tank. They're also called Ocean Catfish, from what I hear, and I've had it once in a restaurant and it was quite good. It's very distinctive--not like any other fish I've had, and like bigmikej's fishmonger said, it tasted somewhat more like scallops or lobster than fish. Kind of an interesting chewy texture as well--not flaky at all like some other fishes. I've never seen them in the stores though, but I've seen them in a few restaurants in the Boston area.
    --Aron

[ul][li]wolffish information[/ul]
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Aron seems to have all that info for you. I "caught" mine at a local seafood restaurant that also has a fresh seafood retail counter. The meat resembles chilean sea bass. Marinating as we speak. I think I am going to go the hot/fast route. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Aron,
    That was an education of the wolffish, more than I asked for and more than enough to boggle the mind. If it is like a lobster or scallop, I want some to try.
    Thanks for the link.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bigmikej,
    Almost all fish that is not oily (like mackeral/salmon) can benefit from a hot fast cook. Your goal is to find the temp that will brown the meat nicely before it is overdone. The thickness of the fish is a big factor in how much heat to use. [p]Enjoy...and let us know how it comes out. Sounds like a great fish.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bigmikej, Good catch! Didn't take up the whole day or weekend for me.
    Let me know how it goes. I'm always wanting to do something different.[p]CWM