Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Function Metal Top - Rust!

BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my large egg for a week now and my dual function metal top is rusting. What have others done to prevent the rust?[p]BTW - I have cooked on the egg six of the last seven nights. They were the best meals I have ever had.[p]BYO Beer![p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BeerMike, what kind of climate are you in? Are you using your ceramic cap to snuff your fires or are you just leaving Miss Daisey to do that?...hence drawing heat which draws moisture which causes rust? IMHO I think all I just said is your problem, but we're all here to help!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    BeerMike,
    Never had a problem with them rusting. Maybe it's because it is covered with grease from cooking?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BeerMike,
    I've had mine for 4 days and I noticed some spots on mine as well. Sounds like I need to put the ceramic top on when I'm finished and take Daisy inside. [p]Jessica

• BeerMike,[p]I have cleaned my daisy wheel lid by placing on rack and cooking at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour. Thought I ruined it, nothing left on it. If there was a coating it peeled off with the rest of the grime. Started to rust overnight. Coated with cooking oil using a paper towel, all surfaces. Next cook, I wiped the excess liquid oil from it that showed up after it got hot. Ever since, perfect finish, no rust, works great. 75% of my cooks are low temp, below 250 degrees. Lots of grease buildup. Nice to be able to cook it off and start over as if new. Think of it as if it is cast iron. Just season it with a little oil, of course while drinking a nice beer. Enjoy![p]SS
  • RRP,
    i live in south louisiana, humidity to the maxxxxxxxxx
    mine is 3 months old and no rust but like someone else said I did notice a little oily film on mine from cooking lotsa meat......btw...my wheel sleeps atop the BGE 24-7

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    RRP, I live in WI and it has rained several days this week. I use the ceramic cap to snuff out the fire because I think it seals better than the metal top. I left the metal top out in the rain twice and now I store it inside the egg once it cools down.[p]What about cleaning the rust and painting it with some high temp paint? Or I could just pour some grease over it, right?[p]BYO Beer,[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    BeerMike,
    There's no need to let the egg cool down before you store the daisy wheel on the grill. The heat will cook off any grease build up. I used to leave it on all the time but then it started sticking. Someone here suggested burning it off then storing on the grill when finished cooking. I think the little discoloration adds a little character to it.

• BeerMike,
    i think the steady buildup of grease will pevent rust, it will be nicely oiled (although i've noticed now that when i do a high temp sear, that some of the grease melts off the daisy wheel and runs down the dome leaving stains). . .i have a little rust on my new small bge daisy wheel, but i'm confident that a few cooks will provide a nice sheen of grease on that one as well and take care of the problem...

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    BeerMike,
    my slide top is about 25 years old, and yes it has rust (in fla dirt will rust). The inside is coated with smoke/grease and seems well preserved.
    dont fret over the exterior rust

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Still Smokin',[p]That's exactly what I do...... treat it just like a cast iron skillet, store it in the egg when you're snuffing the fire and it will never rust.[p]John

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    jwitheld,[p]I know what you mean about dirt rusting. At my parents house (S. Florida), both the wood post holding up the mailbox as well as the brick driveway have gotten rusty. My dad sprays it once in a while with something like CLR and it goes away, but it's just so odd having rusty brick. At least for us, we know it's because of the well water used for the sprinklers.[p]--Aron
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    BeerMike,
    Both my daisies live outside year round. Rust is not a major problem in Colorado, but I took the precaution of spraying them with Pam before their first use. After their annual "degunking" I spray again with Pam.[p]Ken