Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Frijoles a la Charra

Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My bride was again attempting to win the She-EO of the Century Award with a present for the 3rd Anniversary of my 40th Birthday:

DSC_0014.jpg

So, I thought I'd break the new Lodge DO in with some of my favorite beans. Soaked 1.5 lbs of Pintos overnight, so they were ready for some love....pork love I mean. This is the first time I've done beans on the egg, but didn't want to get it all heated up to render the bacon, only to have to cool it back down for the rest of the cook. So the brand new DO went on the old DCS for the render. 3/4 lb of Center Cut bacon until good and crispy, then 2 cups chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped garlic, 1 chopped Jalepeno, 4 Tbs of minced Cliantro - oh the aroma!

DSC_0015-2.jpg

Got the onions good and transulscent:

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Added 1/2 gallon water, the beans, 2 Tbs of Chipotle Chili Powder, 2 Tbs of Cumin, 1.5 Tbs of sea salt, 1 Tbs fresh cracked pepper and moved the DO to the egg, pre-heated to 350 indirect, with a big chunk of Hickory:

DSC_0019-1.jpg

After 1.5 hours on the egg, checked the texture of the beans (all good!) and added 2 cups of chopped Roma tomatoes, another 2 Tbs of Cilantro and 1 Tbs of chopped garlic. 15 minutes later, and she looked like this:

DSC_0020.jpg

Of course, HAD to have some cornbread to go with the Charra's:

DSC_0022.jpg

The wife and kids agreed that the subtle smoke REALLY kicked these beans we already loved up to the next level...gotta love the Egg. I bet they will be even better tommorrow. :woohoo:

Comments