Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with really good Teriyaki Recipe

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have an outstanding Teriyaki marinade recipe? I just got back from Maui where I had the best Teriyaki beef imaginable. I can't stop my mouth from watering everytime I think of it. I have to get a fix of some Teriyaki beef soon, please help.[p]One other thing, the beef they used was thinly sliced. If I had to guess, I think they used some lower end cuts like brisket flat, rump, perhaps sirloin. The marinade was so good it could have tendorized leather and still tasted good. What cuts do you recommend?[p]Thanks for the help,[p]CC

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    Good, quick & simple: equal parts soy sauce, sake and mirin (sweet rice cooking wine). Add a Tablespoon of ground ginger for a little extra "kick". Email me if you need sources.[p]You're right about the beef: the key is razor-thin slices. I like eye of round for price & size. Freeze for 30 to 45 minutes before slicing as thin as humanly possible (a slicer is ideal, but with practise you can do it with a knife). You don't want the meat frozen - just very firm.[p]Ken

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]If you slice it that thin, do you think the meat would be good done on one of those grill woks with holes? Maybe just like a normal stir-fry? I'll have to try your cutting technique--never thought about putting it in the freezer briefly, but it makes sense. Thanks for the tip.
    Also--as far as your marinade, have you tried adding sesame oil? I find that adds a great taste as well.
    --Aron

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Aron,
    Don't see why that "holey wok" wouldn't work. I have a Lodge griddle that fits on the large BGE, and usually just crank that to 600°. Cook time is little more than a matter of seconds.
    When I've added sesame oil I've typically gone Korean: basic marinade plus shredded green onion, toasted sesame seed, grated fresh ginger and a dash of sugar. Real good for beef short ribs.
    Good eating,
    Ken

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Hey Ken,
    Do you marinate the shaved slices or just toss to coat and on to the heat? Any good chicken terri marinades? My all time favorite terri place sold to another family and they must have taken the recipes with them. Pounded steel sizzling platter. Bed of just cooked napa. Really smoky b/s thighs w/ just enough ginger permeated. Sweet sauce which I have duped w/ a TGIF clone, but I haven't gotten the marinade right.
    Thanks
    Dan

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    DTM,
    Toss to coat. If the beef stays in the marinade more than 10 mintutes all you taste is the marinade.
    I base my chicken marinade on this one. (And marinate the chicky parts 30 to 60 minutes.) I've tried, and liked, adding a dash of orange bitters, orange flower water, and grated fresh lemon rind.
    Here are two yakitori sauces, taken from Japanese Cooking by Shizuo Tsuji.[p]Yakitori Sauce
    Bone of one chicken leg
    1 1/4 cup sake
    1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons mirin
    5 1/4 ounces rock sugar
    2 cups soy sauce
    3 Tablespoons tamari sauce[p]Remove meat from bone and grill bone until crisp but not scorched.
    Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer until reduced by 20%. Remove bone, bottle and refrigerate.
    To use, toss meat in sauce or baste just prior to grilling.[p]Quick Yakitori Sauce
    (single use)
    7 Tablespoons sake
    1/4 cup dark soy sauce
    3 Tablespoons mirin
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    Bring to a boil (to eliminate alcohol). Cool and use.
    Toss meat in sauce or dip skewered meat in sauce just prior to grilling.[p]Ken