Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torches

Options
Baby j
Baby j Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know some people use the weed burners to light their lump. I bought a butane torch at Harbor Frieght. When I got it home, it said not to use on food. Should I take this back, or is it safe to use to light lump? I guess if I am afraid that should be a sign not to use it.

baby j

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Use it to light the lump. Don't use it to cook your food.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am assuming a propane torch. Make sure it will stay light upside down. If it does you are ok for lighting lump.

GG
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I don't think propane(blue bottle) will stay burning if it is turned upside down. Mapp torch will burn upside down and will last for a long time. Got mine at Home depot
    010509002.jpg
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Like Mike said, they are talking about not using it to cook food directly, such as browning the top of creme brulee.

Using to light lump is another story altogether. I haven't tried butane. I use MAPP gas like JPF has. I cook a lot and my first canister lasted almost 6 months before running empty.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    John,

The head you have will burn propane tanks upside down.

It is a matter of the head not the gas. If one jumps over to Bernzomatic site then to the FAQ's page they can see, according to Bernzomatic, it is a mater of the head. I recall it is a valve that is or is not in the head.

When lighting an egg and the lump is not burning there is no natural updraft created yet.

In some cases propane or MAPP will go out. The reason is the oxygen is being depleted in that relative small air space between the lump and lip of the base.

I would think many of a torch users have thought they were running out of fuel while lighting the lump only to find out it works fine when pointed upright or taken away from the lump. Simply a lack of air.

This same principle sometimes applies to those folks who have very slow start up time.

I am cooking at about 5000' elevation so the effect is more pronounced with me. This summer we are going to try and get an egg up to 12,000' to see how it lights and cooks.

GG
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Sorry about my short answer last night. Not sure why they are advising against using the torch for cooking. Might have something to do with the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). If this is of a concern then don't let it. There are alot more VOCs in cooking with charcoal than in lighting your charcoal for 60-120 seconds.
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Options
    I'm taking it back anyway, I paid $10 for it and they just had it in their add for $6. So, I'll take it back that.

Thanks for the help
    baby j