Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DUDES = THE SUN IS OUT AND I'M EGGING!!!

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
working here at home today....
sun is shining for the first time in weeks and it ain't chilly.. . .
threw in some lump and fired up my eggs this morning. .. .
got a big smile on my face and i'm cookin me up some good old chili!![p]
yes egg fans, its finally a nice day here in virginia, first time in about a month. . .not sure it will last through till tomorrow night so i figured i'd better get in some good cookin today. ..making chili. .[p]first, pulled out those ends from the whole tenderloins i've butchered the last few weeks (probably about 2#s worth. . .dusted em good with dizzy cow lick and chili powder. . .halved a jalopeno pepper, and a vadalia onion. . .threw all that on the small to grill direct at 400 till done. ...while that was going on set up the large (god, its great to have two eggs!!!). . .with a big old load of lump and a few pieces of lumber (hickory and oak). . .set up my 'egg' pot with 1 large can of chopped tomotoes, 1 large can of crushed tomatoes, 1 medium can of tomatoe paste, and one large can of red pinto beans. ..(now for all of you texas purists that read this and go "OOOOhhhhh, that aint chili, that's tomatoe stew!!. . .i know it, and i love doing texas chili as well i.e. ground chuck w/ spices and beer. . .its just that my family likes tomatoe based chile more. . .oh well). ..brought in the grilled stuff, cut it up and added it to the pot, along with a healthy dose of chili powder. . .that pot is now smokin at a nice 300 degrees for probably a good 3 -4 hours. . . .will shred some cheese and onion later on. . .dinner will be yummy!!!. . [p]everybody enjoy their weekends. . .[p]beers to ya. .[p]max[p]

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]yo dude, we got sunshine here too and I'm gelling' and I'm grillin'. I'm doing those Cornell chickens later today. I thought about it for a while and here's what I decided. I halved the chicken and I'm grilling one-half without basting and I'm gonna baste the other half. This experiment won't test for what happens with opening up the grill five times, but it will let me see whether the basting does anything glaze-wise. I'm cooking'em at 250-300 and I expect'em to take two hours or so. [p]Are you guys still coming up for the Liberty Classic? [p]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Max,[p]Sounds heavenly. Enjoy and have a beer for me.[p]TRex

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    char buddy,
    dude, the chickens sound righteous!!. . .looking forward to hearing your results. ..i still find it hard to believe though, that if you open the egg for 30 - 45 seconds 5 times during one hour, that you would be releasing that much moisture to make a difference. . .just my humble opinion of course, and what the hell do i know anyway (not much probably). . .[p]when i was cutting up my grilled tenderloin tips, i started nibling, man they were good (and spicey from all the chili powder and cow lick). ..my chili may have ended up with not enough meat as a result. . ..[p]don't know about the liberty classic from my end yet (when is it again?). . haven't talked to brett about it. ..[p]next friday, brett and i are taking a road trip outside the beltaway to visit nature boy. . .see the dizzy pig operation up close and personal. . .and grill and eat a little with the NB. . .should be fun. . .[p]have a great weekend yourself old buddy. . .[p]best[p]max

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]We're having one of those "rare days" in central, NJ. It's been cold and rainy for so long. Also, I've been sequestered for basically the past four weeks living in hotels. I got done really early today and enjoyed a traffic free commute. Now, I'm playing some hookie this afternoon![p]Beer thirty started about 10 minutes ago. Also, I just did some thick 20% fat burgers grilled direct with Cow Lick and topped with Muenster cheese, French's yellow mustard, worcestershire sauce, and several dashes of Tabasco.[p]A nice Macanudo has my name on it for later, along with either some steaks (if I want to continue the beef motif) or some chicken wings.[p]Heeeeeeee,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Cornfed,
    dude. . .enjoy that beef. ..as i said to charbuddy below, i started nibbling on those tenderloins as i cut them up to put in the chili, now i'm afraid the chili is a little thin in the meat department . ..oh well. . .nice to have somethng to look forward to after a tough spell of both work and weather. . .hopefully, the weekend will hold. . .[p]best[p]
    max

• Unknown
    Options
    Hey Max,[p]Being from rainy Virginia, I was wondering where you purchased your egg from. I live in Reston and was planning on getting one soon. If you have any recomendations, that would be great.[p]Thanks,
    Corey

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Corey,
    i bought mine at schirmers in falls church. .. when i bought my large a few months ago they had a deal, where you got the egg, nest, thermometer, spring hinge, daisy wheel, ash tool, grill gripper, and bag of bge lump for around $700. .. its my understanding that was a pretty good deal. .. [p]now, when i bought my small a few weeks ago, they didn't have the same deals. ..but they do have a large, with most of the stuff mentioned, with an 'egg table' for about $950. . . considering that the bge tables retail for around $300+, this is still a pretty good deal. . .also, while they had eggs in stock at falls church a few months ago, my understanding is that all of the stock is now kept at the manassas store/warehouse. .. so i would probably recommend going to their manassas store. . .[p]they were pretty knowledgeable, not bad, not great. . . .like most places, they want to sell high end teks and vikings and other $4K gassers. ..but they were still heads and tails above the woodburnerII store right around the corner. . .[p]i've heard others talk about shopping at bbq's galore, i guess there is one of those somewhere out in fairfax. . .frankly, schirmers is about 2 miles from my house, so it was very convenient as well. . .[p]btw. ..i just spotted a crack in my firebox (a fairly common occurence based on what i read hear on the forum), so i'm about to see how cooperative they are regarding warranty issues. .. .[p]good luck, wherever you buy it, its a very wise investment. .

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Isn't funny how weather changes personalities? We had a year when the temp didn't get up above 30 for 45 days.
    When that sun or warmer weather (32) shows up it is great.
    Lets do some serious egging this weekend.[p]CWM

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    you got it. . .i've lived in the washington area most of my life... .after about one week of 90 and 90 % humidity, i'll be ready for october.. .