Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Question

Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking steak, I have always in the past, (with other grills), cooked with the lid open. How can I do this on my xl egg without getting up to ore smelting temps? With the lid closed I get thick white smoke and a bad taste from the burning fat.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Close your bottom vent. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    when using a wok with an open lid i bring temps up to 600 and then shut the bottom vent. temps stay up for a long time, long enough for steaks. you can also sear with the dome open and bring temps down and finish lid closed with the trex method and you wont get that sooty taste, you can even do the final roast in a metal pan with thr trex method. sometimes that burnt flavor comes from the pepper, try just salt for a sear and then add the pepper or rub during the rest period before roasting, works for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Out of curiosity, why would you want to cook a steak with the lid open?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the egg?

I can understand there are some cooks where the lid needs to be open, but with steak?

I've never cooked anything with my lid open. Then again, I've never wokked, etc.

Just wondering.
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Sorry...didn't read the entire post. I see where you mention you get too much smoke.

As my Dad used to say, RTFQ...

On another note, if you're getting too much white smoke...perhaps we could determine the cause of the white smoke.

Is it after you've put the meat on the grill?

Or does it start before the meat and continue while cooking?

Keep in mind, when you truly "smoke" something, you'll almost always have white smoke.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    the only time i can think of that i like the egg open is with the wok and with lamb, i really like the taste of flame charring with sweet rare lamb kabobs. open gives more charr B) ing, closed gives better grill marks, depends what your after
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1) is the smoke clear before you put the meat on? if not you're not allowing enough time before cooking. Always allow at least 20 minutes.

2) when I first started Egging, I was reading that lots of folks did their searing with the lid open (I don't)

3) If you prefer grilling with the top open, you can close the bottom vent and leave the top open as fishless said.

4) even with some dripping of fat, I don't get that much smoke cooking with the dome closed. What temp are you cooking at? You can do steak at 400 with the dome down and it will be delicious without the excess smoke.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Thanks all. I will try with bottom vent closed. The smoke and bad taste are from the fat dripping on the coals. With lid open this is not a problem. With lid closed it covers the steaks with a sooty film that I think tastes terrible. This isn't a lump issue. I have had steaks cooked on a gasser with the same problem.