Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips for a Turkey smoking newbie?

Options
Chef Amy
Chef Amy Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first Turkey on the BGE this weekend. It's a 12 pounder. Any advice before I embark on this journey? (I'm kindof scared).....[p]Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    ChefAmy, don't be nervous about cooking a turkey in the BGE it is one of the easiest cooks to do. Just pretend you are doing it in your oven; use any of the recipes you have followed in the past.[p]Couple of things to consider:
    I would not stuff the bird.[p]Make sure that your dome thermometer is not sticking into the turkey when you close the dome.[p]I did a 12 pounder last Thanksgiving and, just like in the oven, it takes about 13-15 minutes a pound.[p][p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ChefAmy,[p]Keep the dome temp at or above 275-300 deg.[p]Use very little or no wood chips until you test it with none.[p]Have fun! [p]Tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ChefAmy, Tim M. gave you great advice on the wood chucks/chips. Poultry soaks up the flavor quickly. When I cooked my first turkey. I had the breast area looking great. But when I turned it over the back bone looked uncooked. It wasn't, just appeared that way. Maybe the last 15 minutes, turn the turkey over and raise the temp to get the look you want.[p]CWM

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    ChefAmy,[p]I'm not the "guru" but I've done about 10 - 12 big birds so far.[p]Completely agree with previous posts - don't put "stuffing" in. I put in quartered apples, onions, and oranges (occasionally).[p]I do mine "indirect" heat at about 325 for the required time. A little smoke at first - one or two medium size chunks of your favorite, but thats it. Smoke taste is something you need to find for yourself.[p]The only "boo boo" I have ever had was not paying attention to the probe placement for the Polder - it went through the meat into the cavity. A bit over done but still good.[p]I usually do 18 - 22 lb. birds for the big holidays - everybody loves the taste. Including me - they are really good.[p]Good luck, don't be shy - it's not that much different than your oven. But it tastes better!!![p]Happy Egg'n,[p]LVM