Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican spiced butt for fajitas or burritos - just rub, or more?

JerseyD
JerseyD Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would a mexican spice blend rubbed onto a pork butt be enough seasoning to make great pullled pork fajitas or burritos? Or would some other sauce need to be tossed with the meat? Have any of you tried this? Thanks.

Comments

• Jersey D,[p]I don't think that the spice on the outside would be enough.. Cook it and then pull it and add additional spices to it... i.e. odobo, et al.

• Chef Amy
    Chef Amy Posts: 19
    Jersey D,
    Fajita's are usually thin slices of meat (flank or sirloin), marinaded for days then seared over a hot flame. I'm thinking that you are trying for pork tacos rather than true fajitas.[p]I've never tried pulled pork burritos on a BGE, but have made this recipe indoors many times. To get enough flavor throughout the pork, I cook it (pressure cooker or baked in foil) with a lot of seasonings (onion, hot peppers, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper) until ready to pull, then once pulled, saute the pulled meat in a hot sauce (can of crushed tomatoes, minced hot peppers, poblano or green bell peppers) for about 1/2 to get the flavor throughout.[p]For hot peppers, depending on who I'm serving for and how much spice they can handle, I will use either chili (mild) jalepenos (medium) or habenaros (hot).[p]If you try it on the BGE, suggest that you consider injecting a spicy fluid (your mexican rub mixed with water/oil) before you cook, then once cooked and pulled, saute it in the hot sauce. You need to get the spice distributed throughout the meat, and smoking alone doesn't always do that.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Jersey D,
    I made this recipe with a whole Boston Butt that I cut apart. I cooked the pork uncovered in a Dutch Oven on the Egg. It was very good.
    I am actually interested in trying this again.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Carne Adobos[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Here is the link for the sauce
    R&J

[ul][li]Adobo Sauce for Carne Adobado[/ul]