Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone Arrived

Panhandle Smoker
Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fed Ex delivered my new pizza stone/ Kiln shelf. While I was waiting I did alot of reserch as to the food safe question of Cordierite. I found nothing negative as to why the Cordierite would not be food safe. It quite possible that most pizza stones are made out of Cordierite anyway. If the only difference is the price you just can't beat a good baking stone for $23. Here is a quote from one of the experts.

"Cordierite is a refractory material. It's used, besides for good pizza stones, to line kilns and in catalytic converters. It's also pretty common in commercial ovens. It's got a low rate of heat transfer, and very high heat capacity. It heats up (and cools down) slowly, and holds lots of heat. That allows the crust to cook at the same rate as the top of the pizza. I find that Fibrament (which is the other common material that pizza stones are made from) cooks the crust much too fast, and the crust is done before the rest of the pie."