Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

frenched pork roast ???

OtobizOtobiz Posts: 82
edited 7:55PM in EggHead Forum
Picked up a new piece of meat for dinner for sat night not sure how to cook it, Its a bones in pork roast about 5 or six bones,Not sure how to cook it,any ideas

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• Well…
    That sounds interesting! Not seeing it here or perhaps ever seeing it at the meat counter….It almost sounds like a standing rib roast sort of thing!
    Just a total “off the top” and thinking real fast at that…. I think I would give it a braining (sugar, salt and water) for about an hour, then rinse / soak out and give a good rub of your favorite seasoning.
    Stick it on the Egg with a low fire (350 F. dome) indirect for about 35 minutes / lb.
    Should be absolutely “MARV”!!!
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    First, I agree with Tater heads, I would brine first, then your favorite seasonings (avoiding sugar!). I would also start with a sear for the outside (can be done in a CI skillet resting in spider or on the coals...wear leather glove or lose hair!) Then add platesetter and roast indirect at 375 until internal temp reaches 137. Allow meat to rest at least 20 minutes before carving!
    If you want to use a BBQ rub containing sugar, omit the searing, but you will have to increase cooking time.
    Let us know how it turns out for you! Don't forget pics! :)
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,143
    This is one way I like to do them.

Pork, Roast, Bone-In, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6 1/2 Lbs Pork Roast, Bone-In
    Seasoning
    6-8 Tbs Minced Garlic
    6-8 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    TIME
    5:00 PM 48°F (int) 350°F Dome
    6:15 PM 83°F (int) 350°F Dome
    6:30 PM 99°F (int) 350°F Dome
    7:00 PM 126°F (int) 350°F Dome
    7:40 PM 144°F (int) 350°F Dome
    Rested 30-45 minutes

Preparation
    1 Have the butcher cut between the bones and remove the chine bone so that you can cut individual chops w/bone for serving. Placed seasonings between the bones and on the top, placed in refrigerator for 5 hours, overnight would have been ok. . Let sit about 1 hour out of the refrigerator, to warm up.
    Cooking
    1 Pecan wood chips for smoke about 1/2 handful, dry.
    2 Used my Large BGE and set it up for indirect, 350°F with a drip pan and some water under the roast. Placed the roast, bone side down, directly on top of the grate and cooked for apprx 2 hours and 30 minutes. The goal was 145°F internal. Pulled and let sit for 30-45 minutes.
    3 Served with steamed broccoli, corn on the cob, salad and rice and gravy.

Servings: 8
    Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
    Ready in: 3 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/04/21