Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diameter of egg?

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered my large egg this week and want to know what the diameter of the bottom of the large egg is. Can anyone measure theirs for me? I need this measurement for the table I am building.
I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BeerMike,
    Do you mean the diameter of the bottom of the bottom piece? Or do you mean the diameter of the top/opening of the bottom piece? If you mean the diameter of the top of the bottom piece, i.e. at the opening, it is 21.5 inches. If you mean the diameter of the bottom of the bottom piece, it is about 14 inches. That one's a little harder to measure in the rain.... :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    BeerMike,
    have you been down the road yet about the need to use the three green feet and a stepping stone for them to set on (adds additional fire protection). Take in these additional thicknesses so that you can adjust downward the lower shelf of your table. Otherwise you'll have your BGE extending awkwardly thru the top instead of being close to flush with the top.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BeerMike
    Options
    RRP,
    Do I need to use the 3 little feet? I was going to use a 2 in stone paver but I think it is ugly. So I am going to raise the egg by 2 inches by building a wood platform and placing a ceramic tile on top of the platform. So I need to know how large the platform and tile will need to be for my soon to arrive large egg. 12x12? 14x14? ?? [p]Thanks,[p]BeerMike[p]

BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
  • BeerMike
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I mean the bottom diameter of the bottom piece. I think the 2 inch paver I was going to use is ugly. So I am going to raise the egg by 2 inches by building a wood platform and placing a ceramic tile on top of the platform. So I need to know how large the platform and tile will need to be for my soon to arrive large egg. 12x12? 14x14? ?? [p]
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    cart85.jpg
    <p />BeerMike,[p]Well, like I said, the bottom of the egg appears to be 14" across. I'll tell you what I know about heat and what you put under the egg and you can decide how you want to deal with it. [p]First of all, leaving some ash in the bottom of your egg will insulate the bottom. Personally, I sometimes clean too much out, so I wouldn't say that I would rely on the ash.[p]Second, I have my egg resting on the 3 feet sitting on top of a 1 inch thick piece of slate. The slate recently cracked, I assume due to heat. Maybe slate is more vulnerable to cracking due to heat than ceramics are, I don't know.[p]Someone in the past here told his tale of woe of how he built a table, put the egg on some sort of tile or paver, and had the tile/paver crack in a somewhat violent episode. Maybe they will see this and chime in.[p]So, I don't think you can be too careful in what you put under the egg. Certainly, the feet will provide an air gap which will help greatly in preventing any problems.[p]TNW[p]Another
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    BeerMike, the feet allow air to flow underneath. The bottom of an egg gets very hot! My initial set up was to not use the feet either, but one fine winter day the concrete stepping stone shattered like it was hit with a sledgehammer! Trapped moisture was probably the fault. Now I use the feet plus they rest on two red rectangular cement stones laid side by side so as to make a 14 x 14 base.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.