Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

flour and baking powder

mo eggmo egg Posts: 143
edited 8:50AM in EggHead Forum
sometime ago i think someone said they used flour and i think it was baking powder at a rate 3 to 1 plus spices to put on chicken to make it crisp. i know someone used flour and corn starch. i dont have corn starch but i do have baking powder. will that work? thanks

Comments

• Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi mo egg,

I have never heard of anybody using baking powder on chicken that way. Baking powder is a leavening agent for a batter or dough and does not have a pleasant taste. Corn starch may work as it is rather tasteless. I would think regular four with salt, pepper and spices added would be fine as long as you shake off any excess.

I found this on line:

"Generally (in countries where the cup is used as a standard measure in cookery) one teaspoon (5ml) of baking powder is used to raise a mixture of one cup (200-250ml) of flour, one cup of liquid, and one egg. However, if the mixture is acidic, baking powder's additional acids will remain unconsumed in the chemical reaction and often lend an unpleasant chemical taste to food." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_powder)

I think without the above mentioned chemical reaction you are looking at disaster.

Good Luck,

Gator
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Skip the baking powder and just shake them in flour, I do it all the time. -RP
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 21,315
    fine ground corn meal works, i bet jiffy corn muffin mix would work as well, makes a nice crisp on deep fried fish. bread crumbs maybe
  • RRPRRP Posts: 20,987
    I've been dusting my chicken parts for years with corn starch after I have applied my rub. When the skin starts to ooz oil the corn starch makes it crisp up.
    IMG_1809.jpg

BTW I use this tea strainer thing to apply the dusting.
    IMG_0866.jpg
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL