Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket this weekend

Options
jb1020
jb1020 Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just curious as to anyones thoguths on rubs...should i make one from scratch or buy a pre packaged rub? i dont care either way. seems i usually end up making a rub for ribs from scratch and spend about us much on materials as i do on ribs...

thanks,

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I haven't done a brisket yet - wife keeps saying they have too much fat. :(

Trying to keep me healthy. Ha!

Let us know what you eventually do and post pics afterward.

> :evil:
  • jb1020
    Options
    haha, i usually dont let the wife in on what im doing until its done. lighting the girll at 10pm on a friday night does raise some eyeborws though.

youre in madison? where do you get meat from around here? ive been racking up at Sams lately, they have pretty good looking brisket.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Sams for lots of good meat and they have the best leg of lamb by far.

Fresh Market In Ridgeland had a Hereford whole ribeye special about 10 d ago and I got 2 whole ribeyes (they sliced them free) cut into 16 2 inch steaks - $4.99 per lb. Used their scallops and thick pork chops also.

I'm just not into paying the high prices for prime from the specialty stores (Paul Anthony's).

Kroger is not bad for salmon, but the best on seafood is the former "Duggan's truck", now run by John Lester and his wife in DeVille Plaza (Thursdays til sold out on Sat.). :woohoo:

This is making me hungry. :)

I'm looking forward to your brisket report.
  • jb1020
    Options
    i grew up on the royal reds from the parking lot at deville plaza. :)

just moved back here withing the past year so i havent gone back yet.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    John and his wife (can't remember her name) are doing a great job. Gotta go early on Thursdays as they sell out of many things pretty quickly. Also, they don't take credit cards, so be sure to have cash or a check. Prices are good, too! :woohoo:
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    THIRDEYE'S COOKING' SITE has a good rub and some other reading on brisket
  • Wbeachboy
    Options
    Has anyone cooked a corned beef brisket on the EGG?
    Thanks for any tips!!