Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Sirloin tips ideas

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Local store has huge whole sirloin tip roasts on sale at 1.29 per pound. Any suggestions, tips, recipe on how to cook one of these beasts in the egg or would I do better by not attempting it?[p]Any thoughts?[p]thanks in advance.

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Sandi,[p]You have one great tasting cut of beef.[p]If my mom got hold of your sirloin tip, she would first marinade it with about 4 parts Kikoman soy sauce with about one part worcestershire sauce and fresh chopped garlic and ginger overnight, shake it dry and coarse grind black pepper over every square inch.
    Then she'd sear the heck out of it to give all sides a pretty good char..... not burnt mind you.... but a great char nonetheless...... and then cook it at a lower temp of around 325 or so until it was rare in the middle.
    She'd let rest a while and cut thin.[p]When we were kids, we'd fight over the jus to dip our crusty bread in...... a true family favorite and I drool as I type.[p]John[p]

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]So, what I shoudl do is use your mom's marinade.....get my temp up and char it on all sides, close the vents and let it go at about 325?[p]Any other advice from others?[p]Oh...should he cook be indirect over a little water perhaps?

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Sandi,[p]After the sear it would not hurt to cook the rest of the way indirect....... you will already have a crust from the sear so unless you keep a close eye on it, there would be no reason to push it with a further direct.[p]325 dome temp will take you the rest of the way until done.[p]Let us know how it turns out.
    Beers!
    John