Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok folks had the egg for a few weeks now. Thinking about getting super serious and doing something like prime rib. Suggestions anyone?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Luvspbnj,[p]Prime rib still stands as my favorite item ever cooked on the Egg. For starters, if you're gonna do prime rib, you might as well go all out. So, if you can find it, buy Prime-grade prime rib. If not, don't go less than Choice. I did a 2 bone-in roast, about 5 lbs. I seasoned it like I would a steak, i.e., lots of kosher salt, black pepper, spicy brown porter-style mustard, and olive oil. I seared all sides over super-hot fire on my Mini then transfered to the Medium which I had sitting at about 350 with an indirect setup with drip pan and mesquite chunks. Stuck in the polder, closed the dome, and walked away until the temp read about 135 internal. This took about 2 hrs or so, if I remember correctly. The results were heavenly. I mean, the guests that helped me eat it could not believe how good it was.[p]This will be an investment, but the results are well worth the cash with which you part.[p]Others will probably post some more in-depth recipes, including dry aging the roast prior to cooking. I haven't tried any other recipes, as I have only done one prime rib, but I can assure you that, whatever method you use, you will be very pleased.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Luvspbnj,[p]Here's a link to the first one I did! If you go through the threads, the recipe for Kevi's King of the Roasts is in there...it was awesome!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    QBabe,
    I totally agree with you and give a big thanks to Stogie for posting it.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    QBabe,
    I went back to your 46027, August 26, 2002 entry but couldn't get beyond it for specifics on your cooking method and preparation. The roast looked absolutely delicious!! Could you email me or post your technique eg: direct/indirect and other specifics, did you turn the roast? Did you sear it first? Temps? And could you provide your seasoning recipe? [p]Thanks
    Bill Smith

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bill Smith,[p]Here's the recipe...it was Kevi's King of the Roasts recipe posted previously by Stogie.....[p]
    [ul][li]Prime Rib Recipe[/ul]