Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

are two questions in one night allowed

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK - last question! E day is coming up quick and I want to make sure I wow the wifey due to the pricey with the first cook! Ribs it is! Then we DANCE! So...If I remember correctly from this forum 3-1-1! Which means slow cook for 3 hours - put in foil for 1 hour - slow cook another hour with sauce!

Trying to figure out just exactly what the foil does? Seems like many posters cook ribs without the foil and they turn out fine! Is the 1 hour of foil definately the preferred method! Hmmmmmmm!

Comments

• Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Ribhead,

I typically do the 3-1-1 with a little splash of beer inside the foil. They usually come out very tender - almost too tender where they are falling off the bone.

I heard that the foil can make them too soft.

My intention is to go without the foil next time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The preferred method is how you like them, pure and simple. No one elses opinion counts. Unless your compteting. :woohoo:

Mike
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I believe that it takes a few cooks to get used to what you are comfortable with.

Here is how I like to do them.

RibsRichardDone.jpg

Pork, Baby Back, Richard Fl

Procedure:
    1 After removing the membrane.
    2 I like to set the large BGE, for baby backs, indirect, plate setter, legs up, drip pan w/water, 1 inch deep, "V" rack inverted. 250F apple wood and pecan chips both dry wood. Let cook 3 hours and then every 1/2 hour or so, sprayed w/ 6 parts apple juice and 1 part apple cider vinegar. After 4 hours lightly covered w/ bbq sauce diluted 2-1 w/water just for some flavor.
    3 Figured out a few years back that foil was just to messy for my tastes, but will use it sometimes. Sometimes I will use orange juice and bbq sauce to keep moist, but you got to like sweet for this one. Will pull about 5 1/2-6 hours and cover w/foil on counter until ready to eat a few hours latter. Serve with whatever sauce each likes.
    4 As a senior citizen, most of our friends are past the hot spicy phase in life, save that for Chubby and his crew. Usually rub with a mixture of 2 parts crushed red pepper fine, 1 part fine salt and 1 part fine black pepper and into refrigerator.
    Update: 2007/08/25:
    1 I like to rub them the night before with whatever rub I am in the mood for. Set up large, indirect with a drip pan of water at 250F with a vertical holder. Cut 3-4 slabs in half and set in the rack. After about 3 hours spritz with orange juice when in a sweet mood, Soy and water when in an oriental one, apple juice and water or worchestershire when in a different mood. Spritz every 30 minutes or so. I do not remove and wrap in foil as many do, just decided a few years back that it was to much hassle, probably too messy. Sometimes I will sauce the last 45 minutes and some times will just take off after 5-6 hours and let everyone sauce themselves. Some like hot sauce, vinegar, or mustard etc. Depending on the crowd.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/05/27
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    I found that the foil makes it fall off the bone type. It acts as a "steamer" for that hour. I sort of like them a little more dry than that, so I skip the foil method. But remeber to each their own. :)

ross
  • Ribhead
    Ribhead Posts: 123
    Options
    Thks for the help!

So if you skip the foil! would it be the 3-1 method! 3 hours on slow then 1 additional hour sopping sauce
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    I recommend that you keep it simple.

1. Start fire with goal temp 250 degrees.
    2. Remove the membrane from the ribs.
    3. Put olive oil (others like mustard) on ribs then apply your favorite rub (Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express is my favorite)
    4. Put ribs on after fire stable at around 250. If 2 or less rack I place bone side down. If more than 3 racks then use a rib rack.
    5. Open lid after 4 1/2 hours (not before) and apply your favorite sauce (nothing beats Blues Hog)
    6. Cook with sauce for another 30 minutes.
    7. Pick up rack in the middle with tongs and if they start to break apart they are done, if not then cook longer.

Other notes. The 5 hours at 250 is what I use for baby backs, for spares I usually cook at 275 still for about 5 hours.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    At that point I would do the wiggle/bend the ribs thang.
    Take it from there.
    Most importantly, have fun young grasshopper!!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I guess my family doesn't like to work to hard for their dinner. I have done them 3-1-1 and I have done them Car Wash Mike's way. My family prefers to lean back hold the rack over their mouth and just have the meat fall in. :P

I enjoyed Car Wash way. It's a matter of taste my friend.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The 1 hour in foil speeds up the cooking process in my opinion.
    Look under thirdeyes site for my class.

ribs2.jpg

Mike
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Ribhead...Must agree with all the posts above! It is a matter of preference, and taste. Bubba Tim and I do not use foil....many reasons I will not get into. We do low and slow (dry rubbed first) for about 4 hours at 225, then take it as it comes. Some spritz....some sauce....a bit more spritz...etc. Takes about 6 hours at 225 no matter how you go, but we do not care for the texture that 'steaming' (in the foil) gives them. Just my 2 cents! :woohoo:
    You will find your favorite way, too.
    In time, my fellow egger! ;) Really you can't go wrong unless the egg is too hot...then you'll get pork rib jerky.
    Just keep it low, and slow.
    Happy cookin' and learnin!!
    Michelle

Hollywood, FL

PS...No limit to number of questions, ever....
  • Fwiw, you can find information on the origin of the "competiton style" of the 3-2-1 or the 2-2-1 or whatever method you want to call it on my page with an explanation of how it works.

30mvc-003s.jpg

Makes for a great rib...

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Contest Tips

Dipstick