Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen may be toast

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked out on the Egg last night and like an idiot, I left my Thermapen outside. As luck would have it, it frickin snowed (Thanks Denver meterologists - you got another one wrong). I brought it in to thaw/melt and am afraid it is toast. Would Thermapen possibly even attempt to repair this thing, or am I SOL? I'm hoping it works, but we shall see.

How exactly does one even become a meterologist anyway? Don't you have to take a test or something, other than licking your finger and holding it in the air?

Anyway..made some cedar planked mashed potatoes and salmon last night. Salmon literally melted in your mouth - amazing. Olive oil and DP Raging River (Awesome by the way), on a cedar plank...egged at 400 for 20 minutes exactly. Incredible. Will be doing that quite a bit this spring and summer.

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I used to work at a TV station. Meteorologists are a special breed. They average about 30% accuracy that is kickn some serious a$$. You haven't seen freaks until your standing behind a camera with a weatherperson preparing to go on air when there are tornadoes or if a blizzard hits. They get EXTREMELY excited whether they predicted it or not.

If their wrong they pretend like it never happened, if their right, you'll never hear the end of it. Nicest people though. Just a little quirky.

Sorry about you Thermo...just looked up the cost of one yesterday. It'll have to wait a couple weeks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Sure Thermoworks will fix the Theropen. Call Amber explain what happened and ask her the best solution.

If your pen is in warranty you might be in for a surprise. Their phone number is on their website

You could also take it apart and using some alcohol take a swab and (battery out) get the moisture out of the electronics.

GG
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Sorry to hear about your Thermapen. I couldn’t do without mine. I have tried to convince the wife that I need a second one “just in case”. I keep mine in my pocket now, because I used to do exactly what you did (leave it outside). If I don’t get it in right away, I’m in trouble. After a big meal and a couple of drinks, it is amazingly easy to forget all about your Thermapen. ThermoWorks has great service, give them a call at 801-756-7705. I wouldn’t bet on repairing your Thermapen, but it is at least worth a call. Maybe you will get a discount on a new one or at least sympathy. The website is http://www.thermoworks.com/

Good Luck!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Like Kent said, call Amber as there may be something you can do now to ward off the moisture damage.... when my last one died last year I sent it in, and moisture related corrosion was the diagnosis. Even though it was only 6 or 7 months old the best they would do is offer me $20 off the price of a new one.

DSC06917-2.jpg

I have replaced it with the water resistant Mini TC and am really happy with it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    I am kind of surprised to hear Thermoworks only offered $20 towards an in warranty repair/replacement, even if the problem was not a warranty covered problem.

Last year I talked with Amber about a totally dead Thermopen (non battery issue) out of warranty, the replacement/repair was $45.

Amber did recommend the Mini TC if there was much chance for the unit to be exposed to moisture.

After reading your previous posts, my next thermometer will be the Mini TC. I like the option of probe swapping also.

GG
  • I know someone who dropped a cell phone in a pool. They opened it up, took the battery out and put it in a jar of uncooked rice. It drew all the moisture out and the phone is working fine. Maybe the same will work with the the T-Pen.
  • BuBaQlishus
    BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
    I still use the old stick type and would like to upgrade. I saw there was a suggestion for an inserted probe with timer temp outside the grill..not sure what temp the line would hold up to or if this is the way to go...nice not to have to get up a lot to check, but no biggie. With the thermo temp for 43. do you get the high degree insulated line for leaving to preserve heat in dome in lieu of opening...??? suggestions/rec's would be great and much appreciated...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Most 'wired' thermometers will specify the high temp limit of the wires. Generally the high temperature is 400° to 500° with a few exceptions.

I like the Maverick ET-73 for an external wired remote read thermometer. I use it a guide and for unattended cooks.

It was recommended to me by the forum to get the Thermopen. I was stubborn and bought a lot of different cheaper thermometers before I finally broke down and spent the money for the Thermopen.

One of the best purchases I have made. I use it with all cooking egg & non egg. Having an accurate fast reading thermometer has made the biggest improvement in my cooking.

I would either get the Thermopen or the Mini TC w/fast reading probe as thirdeye suggested above.

GG
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    It may not be toast.

I had a Thermapen "die" a few years ago...out of warranty....apparently from water (not immersion, splashed on). Replaced it. Threw the dead one in the back of a drawer.

Year or so later, pulled it out...works! Just needed to dry out.

Worth a shot...let it sit out or carefully dry in a barely warm oven (I'd keep it below 140).
  • BeerBQ,

Try putting the Thermapen in a pound of DRY rice.

Leave it for a week or two....
    That should suck out the moisture.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Thank you for the replies. I opened the Thermapen and it appeared to measure the air temp accurately. I'm still concerned it may have some issues just based on the fact it was covered in snow. I took some advice and threw it in a bag of rice and will let it sit for a week or so.
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    I would remove the battery and leave the battery compartment open (in the rice) so that it will dry. After it dries, put it back together and calibrate. Maybe everything will be fine. Good Luck!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    It seems that you lucked out as I was going to suggest to warm up your oven to its lowest temp and put it in there without a battery.Being a electronics dealer for forty five years plus a lot of gear has been saved this way.EmandM's Dad had this same problem last week and he was not as fortunate as you.Think of it being a Rolex watch and I don't think you would leave it out anywhere.
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Is this as fast as the thermapen?

cheers!
  • How much is that unit? I like the different probes and I think my Thermapen is on it's last legs.
    Thanks,
    Seth
  • Darnoc
    It is the same probe or you have the option of choosing others.In fact even faster.They have a two second probe.
  • Darnoc
    With the fast response probe it is $73.00
  • Grandpas Grub
    Amber, the service tech at Thermoworks said to take the thermopen apart and use alcohol on a swab to dry out the moisture in the Thermopen. She said the alcohol will absorb and remove the moisture. Teh alcohol process also removes the residue.

I wonder if using heat would evaporate the moisture leaving residue, however, with that said Darnoc has a lot of experience with electronics. Amber isn't even that old :laugh: :laugh:

My 2¢, GG