Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My take on Carnitas

Options
Cory430
Cory430 Posts: 1,073
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I realize that this isn't completely authentic, but it sure is good!

Browning the pork
DSC01062.jpg

Making the neighbors jealous :laugh:
DSC01065.jpg

I even did Bordello's trick of throwing some onion slices onto the coals to fire up their sense of smell even more :evil:

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks great Cory! Love the oniion trick.
    How'd you guys like the Peperoncini Piccanti a pezi?
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Oy...I haven't opened it yet. I just didn't think that it'd go well with the Indian fare on Sunday. Maybe tonight?

You have got to try the onion trick. Awesome! It smells like Heaven :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    It looks great. What all did you ad to the pork after the sear?! :woohoo: Don't leave us hanging!!!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Looking real good there Cory, I love cooking in my DO. You can do so many different types of cooks in it. Now what I do with my favorite neighbor instead of putting on onion slices on the coals I put rotten onions when done cooking and go inside. Like the old saying pay back can be a _itch. :laugh:
  • Here ya go JL!

About 4lbs of butt cut into chunks
    water to cover
    1 onion rough chopped
    4 serrano chopped
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    orange zest cut off with a veggie peeler
    lemon juice - 1 lemon
    chicken bullion
    lots of cumin - bout 1/4 cup
    lots of ancho chile powder - bout 1/4 cup
    couple bay leaves
    salt
    pepper
  • Thanks Mike. It came out perfectly.

....but I like my neighbors, I just enjoy letting them know what their missing out on :evil: Ofcourse I will keep the rotten onion trick up my sleeve in case one of'em steps out of line :laugh: