Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how should I cook dry aged beef?

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got my hands on a 32 oz porterhouse, dry-aged 21 days. any thoughts on how to egg this baby?[p]It's firm (less water), so I can't go by touch, and I don't wanna use a thermometer for a steak.[p]not going to do an 850 sear at the grill level. maybe 650 at the grill, or 850 up on the extender. 3.5 minutes a side with no dwell.[p]what say?[p](by the way, i TOTALLY shanked it on pricing. thought it was 16.99 a pound. nuh-uh. this puppy cost me $65 all told. better be good!)
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    stike,[p]Tuscan Porterhouse is by FAR my favorite steak, bar none. Here's the technique I use, kind of a two person job but well worth the time and effort...[p]Get the egg HOT, about 7-800 degrees. Put a generous coating, and I mean coating, of coarse salt and fresh ground pepper on the steak, be sure its covered well. When the steak is ready to put on the grill stop right there....[p]In a pan on the stove heat about a cup of good quality olive oil to just about smoking. Dont get it TOO hot but you want it HOT. Stop right there and lets go outside....[p]Put the steak on the grill and close the lid and leave the fire burning hot, dont close any dampers at all. It will smoke and crackle and do all kinds of bad but let it go. Sear it for about 3-4 minutes a side, depending on thickness. I usually do mine that amount of time for a 1 1/2 to 2 inch steak. You want a HARD sear on the steak. After the appropriate amount of time, turn it over and do the same amount of time on the other side. Now, back to inside......[p]When the oil is smoking hot you want to take some fresh herbs, they need to be fresh, not dried. I use Sage, Rosemary, Oregano, basically anythign green. Get a few good sprigs of fresh herbs and throw them into the hot oil to infuse the oil. Let it cook for about 90 seconds and take it out. The oil is ready now. Back outside....[p]Take the steak off the grill when its seared well on both sides. You are looking for RARE, probably COLD on the inside, at least cool more than likely, with a charred outside. Take it inside and immediately place it on a cutting board. Cut it into 1/4 inch pieces and lay the pieces on a heat proof plate. Take the olive oil from the stove, still very hot, and drizzle it over the sliced steak. You'll see that it immediately cooks the rare steak to about medium to medium rare. Serve it off this plate. If you want a bit more well done meat keep it on the grill a bit longer but you still want the pink middle or the oil will overcook the steak.[p]This is by far one of my favorite ways to cook steaks. The timing is a bit of an issue for one person as you need the oil and steaks done at the same time but it can be done alone.[p]Hope you like if if you try it.[p]Troy

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sprinter,
    wow. this sounds like a great way to do steak.
    I usually go around 800-850 for 2 minutes a side to get rare on the inside. I think I'll try this on my next steak. For the dry-aged, I really want to see how much taste diff there is vs. the same cut (porterhouse) but not aged.[p]It's a long weekend, something tells me i'll be trying your method monday, maybe even sunday. can never have to much good steak...[p]stike

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante