Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Autolocks.....AT LAST!!!

RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Received shipment of large BGE last Sat., but arrived without autolocks. Well they arrived tonite, and I have just finished installing them (thanks to C~W's advice). Seems like a lot of weight for that band to support. Soooo, I have all the eggcessories, the charcoal, even the slide daisy, but alas, nothing to cook!! Any suggestions for the "first meal"??

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    RLA,[p]I believe the dog just went to hide under the bed :~)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RLA, I had a top sirloin 1.5" thick last night that was quote the forum "The best yet". Tonight we had pork tenderloins that were superb. Just used Lawrey's Pork rub on em. By switching up on rubs and marinates, ever cook seems like a "best ever". Steaks is usually the starter's but if you want to start slow and easy (recommended) try a simple whole or quartered chicken roast at 350 degrees. Fast and easy. Even a Prime Rib Roast (3 to 5 bone) flamed at 650-700 and then coaxed down hill to 350F for the finished rib internal temp of 145-150 would be a great celebration cook.
    Dang, your gonna have fun. Glad the hinges went on ok..Don't forget to recheck the bolts for tightness after a few weeks..Cheers..C~W[p]

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    RLA,[p]Dang son, try toast or veinna sausages or do a dry run to see if you can get it to light. What happens if you bought a defective one. &^)[p]Seriously, Do what Woody suggested and try steak, course you'll hate him for the rest of your life, cause it will run you from ever being happy with anything a Steak House produces from that point forward.[p]Well that is all part of growing up. [p]Elder Ward

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    RLA,
    Go fer da steaks (at least 1 3/4" thick) or chops (at least 1 1/2" thick)! Get your butcher to cut you those steaks or chops special! This be da crowning event on da Egg, so don't go wid no "straight-out-a-da-case" steak or chop! Don't use no marinade or fancy stuff, just a little Lowery's or Montreal Steakseasoning.(let the full flavor of the steak/chop come thru) Soak some wood chips or chunks (your preference) in water for about 2 hrs. They'll smolder good that way. Use something subtle in the wood department, so the flavor of the steaks or chops come thru.(I'd suggest oak, pecan or cherry, in that order. If you like strong smoke flavor, go to hickory or mesquite)
    Load the Egg with a good load of lump.(not full, full but about 3/4 full) Fire up the Egg to about 500 to 600 degrees.(that will be easy, and you won't have to worry about baby-sittin' it) Throw the wood chips or chunks on the lump, put the grill on the fire ring and give it about 2 minutes to heat up the grill surface, with the dome closed but no daisy on top. Put the daisy wheel on top, open to its fullest. Throw your steaks/chops on fer 2 to 3 minutes per side, then close the dome, the bottom vent to about 1/8" and the daisy top totally. Leave them on for about 6 minutes if you like medium rare steaks or 8 minutes for the chops (depends on your fire). Open the dome slowly (remember the "POOF" we were talkin' about dis last weekend), remove the steaks/chops and enjoy![p]You are now enjoying life at its fullest! No if's, and's or but's about it! Your life will never be the same! Remember too, we warned ya!!![p]Welcome to the family and hope everything turns out good on your first cook! It will only get better![p]Dr. Chicken