Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

filet question

Options
jb1020
jb1020 Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i know its discussed on here over 1000 times, but i am a little lost. sear for 90 seconds each side at 600-700 temp.

then take the filet completely off the egg until the egg gets back down to 400 degrees?

then cook how much longer?

these are abour 2" filets and i love medium rare.

thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I did last night on my small some almost 2 inch thick filets. Got small to 500F seared minute and half each side. shut down the egg-closed bottom and put ceramic top on. The meat remained in and turned couple of minutes later and left for 2 more minutes. total cooking time7 minutes. nice and rare/medium rare
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Even though the Trex method is a great way to cook steaks I recommend you try the “hot tub” method on your filets. Season then seal them in Ziploc bag and put in hot water for about an hour. Then simply sear for the 90 seconds per side and you have med rare. This eliminates the wait for your egg to cool down. I use this for filets, strip and rib eyes. Either way, they will be great.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Invest in a Maverik Redi-Chek remote thermometer. ET-73 is the model number. They run in the $40ish range.

After the sear, insert the meat probe into the middle of the filet. Then you can monitor the internal temp from inside the house and pull it from the grill when you reach your goal. I pull ribeyes at 125*, immediately cover with foil while I prepare the potato and/or other sides - about 5-8 minutes. Unfoil and enjoy!

This way you get consistent results regardless of any other factors that might inadvertently affect the temp inside your egg.