Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yam question

tinman
tinman Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i want to cook the planked mashed potato recipe, is a yam and sweet potato the same thing?

Comments

• What's sold as a yam is a sweet potato. A true yam is totally different. As far as a supermarket aisle is concerned, they are the same thing.
  • http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/vegetables/sweetpotato.html

sorta is on target. link above will fill you in.
    wikipedia was not much help in distinguishing. better google if you need more info.

i prefer what is labeled as sweet potato [white flesh]to the orange fleshed ones [labeled as yams]for egging whether baked or planked and my current favorite for mashed [then planked] is 3 parts potato to 1 part sweet potato.
    orange ones [imho] are better left for making pies or stuff with marshmallows in it
  • They're both delicious! Just depends on where you are as to what ya call em. In these parts people call 'em "sweet tater yams". I did some whole ones on the BGE last nite. Made a little foil boat with the roof off and sailed the taters right on the grid. Yummy!!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I like the planked taters and all, but here is an alternate plan you might want to check out. I cook a sweet potato and a squash at the same time.

DSC06208JPGajpgb.jpg

When the potato is done, I mash it, season it, butter it and fill the cavity in the squash halves with it. these two things are wonderful together.

DSC06211JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Now that's what I'm talking about!! I love both of those. Do you find that the tater and squash finish about the same time (given the size from your photo), or do you throw on the tater earlier?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Our grocery stores here in Florida Call them interchangeably yams/sweet potatoes.

Here is my version with some footnotes by others.

Potatoes, Mashed, Cedar-Planked, POYAMS, (Potatoes/Yams). Richard Fl

Thanks to the recipes from Smokin' Lady and IBeeSmok'n, I have made this great side dish of mashed potatoes and yams. POYAMS!!.

POYAMSVEGGIESBREAD.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Large Yukon Gold Potatoes
    1 Large Yam
    Butter
    Sour Cream
    Parmesan Cheese
    Bacon Bits
    Garlic Cloves, Cooked in foil pouch on BGE if time allows and mixed in..
    OR Garlic Powder
    Salt/Pepper
    Parsley/Chives for garnish
    Cedar Planks

Procedure:
    1 Peel the potatoes and yams. Cut into small pieces, 1 1/2 inch or so. Boil for 12-15 minutes, not mushy. Mash or use a potato ricer. Mix in melted butter, garlic, sour cream, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, seasoning.
    2 Take pre-soaked cedar planks , an hour or so, and put poyams on them. Place in BGE 350 indirect for 30-40 minutes. Remove add butter, parsley/chives and serve.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/05/25

2008/06/23
    Slick There's another version floating around that uses ranch dressing, cream, cheddar cheese, and string cheese. I made them last week without the string cheese, added some garlic, fresh chives, and parsley. My wife and I both agreed that they were the best we ever tasted. The ranch dressing adds alot of flavor. I want to try it next time with sweet potatoes in the mix as previously suggested. You really don't need to worry about how much of each to add. Really depends on how many potatoes you have. I used about 2/3 Ranch dressing to 1/3 cream. The creamy salad dressing idea has me thinking that anything on hand would work, such as bleu cheese or parmesan peppercorn. Even if I don't plank them, I know that future mashed potatoes will no longer be "ordinary". Slick
  • If you are baking a sweet potato whole; lightly rub some cooking oil on the skin of the potato. These potatos will taste so much better.